Installing Gnome in a KDE Installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sinister_nation

Installing Gnome in a KDE Installation

Post by sinister_nation »

I search and search but can't find what I'm looking for.

What should I install using the synaptic package manager to install Gnome in a KDE install. I had seen a post on doing the opposite. I would like to do a full install of gnome not a partial install alongside with KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Installing Gnome in a KDE Installation

Post by bobcollard »

sinister_nation wrote:I search and search but can't find what I'm looking for.

What should I install using the synaptic package manager to install Gnome in a KDE install. I had seen a post on doing the opposite. I would like to do a full install of gnome not a partial install alongside with KDE.
Search gnome- See attached.
sinister_nation

when i selected gnome and then apply it i got the following errors in synaptic

gnome:
depends: gnome-desktop-environment but is not going to be installed
depends: epiphany-extensions but it is not going to be installed

what do I need to do to get gnome installed so I can pick between gnome and kde at the log in screen
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

sinister_nation wrote:when i selected gnome and then apply it i got the following errors in synaptic

gnome:
depends: gnome-desktop-environment but is not going to be installed
depends: epiphany-extensions but it is not going to be installed

what do I need to do to get gnome installed so I can pick between gnome and kde at the log in screen
Under Settings>Repositories>Other Software tab make sure most are checked except the Sources. You might check under the Linux Mint tab the Backported Packages (Backport) box.
sinister_nation

k i got gnome installed but ran into a problem.

How can i connect my wireless to my router so i can get on the internet in gnome?

I'm already thinking of doing a re-install, but with gnome. of I do then it would be ubuntu because mint gnome when I had it installed I had problems with it like my nvidia card. It wouldn't install the recommended drivers. Also wasn't able to access the virtual desktops.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

sinister_nation wrote:k i got gnome installed but ran into a problem.

How can i connect my wireless to my router so i can get on the internet in gnome?

I'm already thinking of doing a re-install, but with gnome. of I do then it would be ubuntu because mint gnome when I had it installed I had problems with it like my nvidia card. It wouldn't install the recommended drivers. Also wasn't able to access the virtual desktops.
You have to set up your wifi the same way you did for KDE, Ethernet to install the drivers then click on the icon in the panel to connect. Each desktop is like a separate user, you have all of the preferences to set up again. The only advantage is you still have your same home folder and applications on both.

Return to “Beginner Questions”