Need some kernel advice

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Need some kernel advice

Post by LindseyD. »

I'm not actually a newbie, but the only other forum that seemed a likely place for this is "Other Topics," which hasn't had a new topic since 2008 :!:

The kernel that comes with Mint9 KDE is causing me problems. On a laptop with Mint9 KDE installed, I can't use the dialup modem because there are "no prebuilt modules" for it (I quote the modem's diagnostic tool). As well, the laptop's WiFi driver is working, but I can't connect to the internet. I don't know if this is related, but ...

I had Mint9 Gnome on the laptop and both the dialup modem and the wireless worked perfectly (both use proprietary drivers which I had to install manually), but I'm reluctant to reinstall Gnome until I'm sure a different kernel is NOT the answer.

So, first off, do Gnome and KDE use different kernels? The one now installed is 2.6.31-21 generic.

I have no ethernet connection, so I'd have to download a different kernel with the machine I'm using to post this, and install it manually on the laptop. I've never installed a kernel this way, so I don't know if just clicking on the .deb will work as it does for applications. And I've never recompiled a kernel, which is what the modem's diagnostic file tells me to do, and I'm reluctant to use my internet connection as a learning tool.

Also, I suspect I'd want an older kernel, and I don't know if I'll get into trouble running Mint9 KDE with an older kernel.

I can supply lots of diagnostic data if anyone thinks it'll be relevant.

As I'm typing this, it's starting to look like it would be easier to reinstall the Gnome version of Mint9. Advice, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint17 KDE
Robin

Re: Need some kernel advice

Post by Robin »

If it was me, as a totally geek-challenged kid, I would reinstall the Gnome 9 and add KDE to it from Synaptic as long as I had plenty of room on my hard drive for all that KDE stuff (it's a huge download, pro'lly take a long time on dialup). It's simple and "immediate," but it would leave your system with alot of unused cruft on it... uninstalling the Gnome stuff might help as long as the dialup stuff is not dependent on something you might inadvertently uninstall.

-R
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

LindseyD. wrote:I had Mint9 Gnome on the laptop and both the dialup modem and the wireless worked perfectly (both use proprietary drivers which I had to install manually), but I'm reluctant to reinstall Gnome until I'm sure a different kernel is NOT the answer.
If I recall it right Mint 9 Gnome comes with a 2.6.32 kernel. But the kernel itself may or may not be the problem. To prove this it's easy to install another kernel. Just download the appropriate deb-files from ubuntu-mainline and install them by double-click. If not satisfied you can uninstall them later via the packet manager.

If you like a lucid kernel (mint's base) go for the latest 2.6.32 kernel: 2.6.32.21-lucid/. Choose the ...all.deb and the image and header debs that are appropriate (i386 are for 32bit systems, amd64 for 64bit systems).

Perhaps a newer kernel will solve the problem as well, I use a self compiled 2.6.35.4 kernel with no issues.

Be aware that changing a subversion (31 to 32) may break additional modules like propriatary grafics driver. Deactivate them before using a newer (or older) kernel.

Good luck!
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Hi guys:

Thanks for the quick replies. I can never return the compliment on dialup :-(

Robin, I'm a geek-challenged old fart and my heart's with you, but here's what I want to do:

Because I have only dialup at home, and the laptop has wireless, I want both machines to use the same version of Mint so that I can install & update at the public library (free wireless) then use AptOnCD to update/install on the PC.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, but I live in hope.

Sorry, but I really don't like Gnome, so I want KDE. I could, I suppose, use your suggestion to install KDE over Gnome. But that's really last resort. And never on dialup. It would take weeks. Literally.

ej64, I'm pretty sure it's that the kernel is too new because the modem driver spits out a huge file that says, in part:
No pre-built modules for: Debian-squeeze/sid linux-2.6.32-21-generic i686-SMP

Trying to automatically build the driver modules...
(this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)
Please install the 'kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic' package. You can install
it with the 'apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic' command.

WARNING: missing file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h
The cause of this is usually a missing or unconfigured
kernel source tree (and sometimes an incorrect directory or symbolic link).

First, ensure that the proper kernel source and compiler packages
from your distribution vendor and/or the community are installed.

The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by running "make menuconfig"
under the kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux).

Verify that the proper options for your system are selected.
Then compile and install your new kernel (for more information about
this procedure, see the README file under the kernel source directory),
reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "hsfconfig".
The What's new in Linux Mint 9 Isadora? page says "Based on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, Linux 2.6.32, ..." But doesn't say what numbers come after .32 Sigh! I may have to install the Gnome version just to find out the kernel number.
If you like a lucid kernel (mint's base) go for the latest 2.6.32 kernel: 2.6.32.21-lucid/
That's what I've got now, and it isn't working :-( I assume I'd have to compile it according to the above instructions? They don't sound complete.
Be aware that changing a subversion (31 to 32) may break additional modules like propriatary grafics driver.
None of those, TG.
Mint17 KDE
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

LindseyD. wrote: ej64, I'm pretty sure it's that the kernel is too new because the modem driver spits out a huge file that says, in part:

Is it an install script? The problem seems not to be the kernel by itself but the missing headers and the missing kernel sources to automatically build the module.

You should run "sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic" as mentioned and "sudo apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.6.32 libncurses5-dev fakeroot" to have the sources and some usual kernel development utilities at hand.

Then rerun the script.

I hope it helps.
Erinsfan

Post by Erinsfan »

Would agree re headers. Why are you comiling a module? What is the make and model of your modem?

Erin
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Erinsfan wrote:Why are you comiling a module?
Um, because I know even less about kernels than I thought I did :oops:
ej64 wrote:You should run "sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic" as mentioned and "sudo apt-get install kernel-package kernel-source-2.6.32 libncurses5-dev fakeroot" to have the sources and some usual kernel development utilities at hand.
Whew! It sounds easier than I thought. At least my wireless is working, so I can do all this at the library--but not until tomorrow (Labour Day today). However, I tried a dry run and got:
sudo apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package kernel-headers-2.6.32-21-generic
I think they meant linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic. Is that correct?

And when I went looking for kernel-source-2.6.32 I got:
apt-cache search kernel-source
bcmwl-kernel-source - Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source
nvidia-173-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-173-kernel-source
nvidia-180-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-source
nvidia-96-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-96-kernel-source
cpad-common - common files to support the Synaptics cPad driver kernel modules
cpad-kernel-source - source for the Synaptics cPad driver
fglrx-kernel-source - Transitional package for fglrx-kernel-source
nvidia-185-kernel-source - Transitional package for nvidia-glx-185-kernel-source
If you meant the Broadcom one, it's already installed.
ej64 wrote:Then rerun the script.
Here's where I got the idea of compiling a kernel, but it also talks about a script:

reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "hsfconfig".
So all I'd have to do is run hsfconfig?
Erinsfan wrote:What is the make and model of your modem?
Darned if I can find the info now--maybe I got it from the Windows side of this laptop. In any case, this is from ModemData.txt file generated by ScanModem:
Predictive diagnostics for card in bus 00:1e.3:
Modem chipset detected on
NAME="Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW "
CLASS=0703
PCIDEV=8086:266d
SUBSYS=103c:3082
IRQ=22
SOFT=8086:266d.MC97
CodecArchived=CXT
CodecClass=CXT
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

For candidate modem in: 00:1e.3
0703 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW
Primary device ID: 8086:266d
Subsystem PCI_id 103c:3082
Softmodem codec or chipset from diagnostics:
from Archives: CXT, a Conexant type using hsfmodem software.
CXTnn is a generic for all CXTnumbers, with Linuxant hsfmodem software support.

Support type needed or chipset: hsfmodem
The cheesy %$#@&!s only give you a 14.4 modem driver. If you want the 56K driver, you have to pay extra for it (like the price isn't built into the cost of Window$). So if you have other recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks oodles for your help, guys. I'm so glad I asked!
Mint17 KDE
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

LindseyD. wrote: I think they meant linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic. Is that correct?
Yes. I've been confused by the script's output.

Then install at least the kernel sources and the kernel-package as mentioned above, too.
So all I'd have to do is run hsfconfig?
That's what I would try.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

ej64 wrote:Then install at least the kernel sources and the kernel-package as mentioned above, too.
Sorry to sound anal, but the library's no place to start experimenting. I think I found what you mean by kernel sources:

linux-source-2.6.32
linux-ec2-source-2.6.32

And install both of them?
Mint17 KDE
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Good advice from the Tutorials section of the forum :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85#p230938
Erinsfan

Post by Erinsfan »

Although it is great you are learning to recompile the kernel, there may be a quicker way. There is a Windows modem driver wrapper software in Mint, that I cannot remember the name for, which allows you to drive a Winmodem without comiling anything. Someone else may be able to remember the name but it is like "ndiswrapper".

Also, have a read of www.linmodems.org [old but some useful information].

Erin

Edit: Just found this.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

LindseyD. wrote:
ej64 wrote:Then install at least the kernel sources and the kernel-package as mentioned above, too.
Sorry to sound anal,
Not sure, what that means ... :shock:
but the library's no place to start experimenting. I think I found what you mean by kernel sources:
linux-source-2.6.32
linux-ec2-source-2.6.32
Sorry again, still confused ...
linux-ec2 isn't needed.

As above (my posting from Sep 5, 11:49 pm): "sudo apt-get install kernel-package linux-source-2.6.32 libncurses5-dev fakeroot"
This should do.

@richyrich & Erinsfan: it's not about (re)compiling a kernel. Some scripts to build external modules do need the linux sources and headers.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

LindseyD. wrote:So, first off, do Gnome and KDE use different kernels?
No, they use the same kernels.
LindseyD. wrote:I have no ethernet connection, so I'd have to download a different kernel with the machine I'm using to post this, and install it manually on the laptop.
Download the 2.6.35 kernel files from these links, and install the deb files in this order.

1. linux-headers-all.deb
2. linux-headers-i386.deb
3. linux-image-i386.deb
LindseyD. wrote: I've never installed a kernel this way, so I don't know if just clicking on the .deb will work as it does for applications.
That's exactly how it works.

Because you will be installing a kernel manually, after the install completes you will have
to manually update your grub menu.

Run this command in a terminal to do so.

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
This guide assumes you are using the 32bit version of Mint KDE. If you are using
the 64bit version,then follow Kendall's tutorial at the link below.

How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly.

mick
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

mick55 wrote:Download the 2.6.35 kernel files from these links, and install the deb files in this order.
Again, her problem is not about compiling or installing a new kernel. She needs to have the sources to run the module builder script for her modem.

Btw: if you do want to install an actual kernel then always take the latest stable release with all the newest bug fixes and security patches which at this time is 2.6.35.4

Kernel maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman stresses with every release, that you must upgrade to the latest kernel (e.g. see his release-mail of 2.6.35.2).
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Wow! Go to bed for a while and all kinds of help shows up :D

Rather than make pages & pages of individual replies, I'll try to do it all in one.

The How To: Upgrade your kernel, painlessly tutorial is wonderful, even if it isn't what I want to do right now--but I've copied it to my hard drive (I have a HowTo folder).

Erinsfan, I looked at that slmodem possibility and it sounds way too complicated. I have a zd8000 laptop, and while I couldn't find the exact modem that guy had, I did notice his wireless driver is different from mine, so the dialup modem may be different, too. However, it's another thing I noted down, in case I ever get another computer (chances are slim I'll ever be able to afford a high-speed connection :( ).

ej64, sorry I used English slang. "anal" is short for anal-retentive, someone who's got to have everything exactly perfect before they make a move. I suspect it's where the other English slang term "a$$hole" comes from.

I managed to download everything, but now running the hsfconfig script is asking me:
Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running kernel?
[/usr/src/linux]
I have no idea. I found a linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2 in /usr/src. I tried extracting it, but I can't find where it extracted to. I managed to read the README file in Ark, and it said I shouldn't use /usr/src.

I even ran an updatedb and then tried to locate 2.6.32 and got gazillions of possibilities, none of which make sense.

So I'm stuck. Is there an emoticon for banging one's head against a wall?
Mint17 KDE
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

LindseyD. wrote:ej64, sorry I used English slang. "anal" is short for anal-retentive, someone who's got to have everything exactly perfect before they make a move.
Ah, reminds me how I made sure to not oversee anything when setting up Mint on my SSD ... :oops: :mrgreen:
I managed to download everything, but now running the hsfconfig script is asking me:
[/usr/src/linux]
Well, that's what I've been talking about. :wink:
I have no idea. I found a linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2 in /usr/src. I tried extracting it, but I can't find where it extracted to.
Open a terminal in /usr/src
Make sure your actual kernel is 2.6.32:

uname -r
If it's 2.6.32 extract the source tarball there (it's the right place):

sudo tar xjf linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2
check the new directory's name (should be something like linux-2.6.32:

ls
and create a symlink:

sudo ln -s linux-2.6.32 linux
I managed to read the README file in Ark, and it said I shouldn't use /usr/src.
Don't know what that means. /usr/src is the right place for sources.
So I'm stuck. Is there an emoticon for banging one's head against a wall?
Come on now! You're almost there. Just give the script another go.

Just in case ... Image
:mrgreen:
mick55

Post by mick55 »

ej64 wrote:Again, her problem is not about compiling or installing a new kernel. She needs to have the sources to run the module builder script for her modem.
I was not attempting to solve her modem problem.

I was only answering her specific questions regarding kernels.

The name of this topic is
Need some kernel advice

mick
Last edited by mick55 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

The simple way to install the Linux source, headers, and build essential,
is to run these commands in a terminal.

Copy/paste the commands to ensure accuracy. :wink:

To install kernel headers

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
To install kernel source

sudo apt-get install linux-source
To install build essential

sudo apt-get install build-essential
You may not require all these files for this specific task, but you will
probably need them at some point down the road.

mick
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

ej64 wrote: and create a symlink:

sudo ln -s linux-2.6.32 linux
Sigh! I didn't work. I even tried it using the actual /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32 directory when it asked where the file is.

Here's the output:
Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.80.02.06full

If you need license keys, assistance or more information, please go to:
http://www.linuxant.com/

When reporting a problem for the first time, please send
us the file generated by "hsfconfig --dumpdiag".

[/usr/src/linux] /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32

WARNING: missing file /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32/include/linux/autoconf.h

However, proper /boot/config-2.6.32-21-generic was found.
Would you like to try using it (in a temporary kernel tree)? [yes] y

Unable to prepare temporary kernel tree

I can't find a autoconf.h anyplace.
LindseyD. wrote:I managed to read the README file in Ark, and it said I shouldn't use /usr/src.
Don't know what that means. /usr/src is the right place for sources.
Here's what the README says:
Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
files. They should match the library, and not get messed up by
whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be. :?
Just in case ... Image
:mrgreen:
Oh, thanks for that .gif! It made me LOL for real, and I need that right now.
Mint17 KDE
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

UPDATE:

With even more googling, I found this thread on the Ubuntu forums. It is indeed that the Karmic kernel is too new. While there are instructions on how to fix this, they seem to be equally instructions on how to break your system. I think I'll give up--or at least wait until Dell catches up with the kernels.

What I don't understand is, it installed without a hitch in Mint 9 Gnome. Sigh!

Thanks to all, especially ej64 for trying to help.
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Beginner Questions”