Cannot control brightness on HP DV3-2154CA in Isadora

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abhavni

Cannot control brightness on HP DV3-2154CA in Isadora

Post by abhavni »

Hi There,

I am new to Mint. I just installed Mint 9 and so far everything works besides the brightness control. I have FN+F7 and FN+ F8 buttons mapped on my laptop for decreasing and increasing brightness. Unfortunately I cannot increase or decrease the brightness. This is important for me as I this is my school laptop and carry it with me the whole day and with full brightness the battery life is too less (hardly 40 minutes).

Workaround: as of now I am using the following command to control the brightness in a crude way

"sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=XXX"

where in XXX corresponds to a hexadecimal value ranging from 00 to FF where 00 is no brightness and FF is full brightness.

I would appreciate if this bug is fixed as that would help me keep using my laptop a little longer without needing a charge.

Regards,

Abhi
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Cannot control brightness on HP DV3-2154CA in Isadora

Post by dawgdoc »

A solution which has worked for some with this issue can be found at post #20 on this site

An alternate solution can be found HERE. Check this option first.

Fortunately for me, the keys have worked fine on my HP dv6119 with no adjustments. Having searched using the terms HP lcd brightness in lucid I saw where some resolved the issue by changing graphics drivers, it seems they have ATI graphics chips.

Return to “Beginner Questions”