laptop display with external monitor issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katesfb

laptop display with external monitor issue

Post by katesfb »

Hi,
I have a laptop that has been connected to an external screen ever since i installed Mint on it but i now wish to use it as a proper laptop but i when i run it without the external screen, the laptop screen goes blank after the initial boot splash screen. Is there a way to fix this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMT

Re: laptop display with external monitor issue

Post by SMT »

I am not too sure about your situation and it seems a bit odd. I use an external monitor from both my office and home via port replicators i have at each. I also frequently travel and work away from my office using it as a laptop proper. Mint surprisingly handles this superbly, where as my first endeavor into Linux (openSuse) did not.

I would imagine that (with the external inline) if you went to Preferances > Monitors, that if you detect monitors... while the laptop lid is open... both the external and onboard monitors would be detected. tick the check for display same image in both monitors and you should be able to disconnect the external and have the onboard working. after that... a reboot will most likely now display the desktop on the laptop.
edwardr

Re: laptop display with external monitor issue

Post by edwardr »

I think I had the same problem. Here's what fixed it for me:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it#p277057

#<the following is quoted from the link above, with comments by me inside these brackets>

For LM9 and Ubuntu 10.04, the problem is usually caused by the new KMS (kernel mode setting) module in the kernel.

#<this part wouldn't apply since you have already installed Mint, but you could test it by booting from the live cd, and if this workaround allows you to boot from the live cd without the external monitor, then you can follow the instructions in the next paragraph to make the fix permanent >

When you boot the CD, press 'e' to edit the first boot option. Use the arrow keys and move down to the 'kernel' line. That is the one that has the 'quiet splash' options. (the line may wrap, press end to get to the end of the line). Add 'nomodeset' (do not use quotes).

#<if the nomodeset parameter allowed the live cd to boot with the laptop screen displaying properly, then you can reboot from your hard drive with the external monitor plugged in so you can see what's going on and do the following to permanently implement the fix>

If this works, you will want to make the change permanent.. so once you have Mint installed and reboot, follow the above instructions again (for this time only). then:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

look for this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

then run:

sudo update-grub

Hopefully this solves your problem. Good luck.

Return to “Beginner Questions”