Changing panel icons

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Alpha Gamer

Changing panel icons

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

I use the Shiki-brave theme but would like to replace it's panel icons with the panel icons from the Ubuntu mono dark theme. How would i go about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing panel icons

Post by libssd »

Assuming you have Ubuntu-Mono-Dark installed:

Appearance > Select a theme > Click on the Icons tab

If you don't have Ubuntu-Mono-Dark installed, you will have to download and install the icon package.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-mono
The Alpha Gamer

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

That changes all the other icons though, i only want to change the panel ones
Steven Lake

Post by Steven Lake »

Hi there. I'm actually working on this problem right now, but even I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out which icon set KDE4.5 is using for the system tray. AKA, the panel. I'm not a big fan of the new mono system tray icons, so I'm trying to come up with a solution to this. If someone knew where the default grey mono icons were being pulled from, I could have a working solution to this asap. I've been looking all over and just can't seem to find them, so I'm stumped. If anyone knows where to start looking, let me know. I'm using the default oxygen theme right now.
Steven Lake

Post by Steven Lake »

Ok, I have rather bad news. After all my digging and digging and digging, it turns out that there's presently no way to change the icons in the system tray or the panel. The panel icons are hard coded to the theme and the system tray is hard coded to another set, which I have not been able to locate as of yet. However, according to the devs (at least the ones I read) there is no option, or will there ever be (for the foreseeable future anyways) an option in KDE4.x to change the icons outside of actually changing the entire theme, and even then it won't change the monocrome tray icons which they apparently swear need to be white on black for some presently unspecified reason. So, alas, until someone can change the mind of the KDE devs, that will never happen.

The most likely thing to happen at this point is for either the Mint or Kubuntu devs to write a patch (or someone could write a widget) that will give you that functionality. Honestly, I'd go with option two since the Devs will be unlikely to make a major KDE change outside of the KDE dev tree for fear of causing issues later down the road. Plus, there's really no need to when the widget system in KDE4 is so powerful that you can do a huge number of customizations without needing to change the core KDE code or behaviors. :)

Anywho, I hope that helps. Now, all we need to do is find someone who can/will write a "customize icons" widget that will allow people the ability to customize any icons they want on the system, including individual the panel, systray, etc.

Return to “Beginner Questions”