Slow Internet Speeds

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamsoolee

Slow Internet Speeds

Post by jamsoolee »

I have just switched from Win7 to this, Linux Mint 9 "Isadora". GNOME, Debian, whatever you'd call it. It's got GNOME not KDE and nothing else? Idk, it's the standard, and for some reason my download speeds are no longer at ~1.00 MPBS but now ranging ~80 KBPS. I have no clue as to why, all I did was install and try updating, and yes, it took forever.

Is there something I should be configuring? Something that isn't right?
I'd like to know, because my laptop which is two rooms away from the router downloads things faster than my desktop with a CAT6 Gigbit Ethernet cable plugged into it.

Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: Slow Internet Speeds

Post by thenewguy »

Are you judging download speeds just by the rate of your updates? It could be the update server, not your connection which is the problem. Give your machine a speed test at speedtest.net and see if it's a server issue or a problem with your OS.
trophymick

Post by trophymick »

I was having the same problem, my machine seemed a lot slower when i first installed Mint Isadora.
I changed the DNS settings and all is well :D
Have a look here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/ubuntu/

Regards

Mick
jamsoolee

Post by jamsoolee »

thenewguy wrote:Are you judging download speeds just by the rate of your updates? It could be the update server, not your connection which is the problem. Give your machine a speed test at speedtest.net and see if it's a server issue or a problem with your OS.
It wasn't just the update servers.
I should have worded my post differently. Basically it's everything.
Downloads from sites that I used to download at 1 MPBS at and even at speedtest.net I get results 25% of what they used to be. I used to get ~24 megabits now I only get ~6 megabits.
trophymick wrote:I was having the same problem, my machine seemed a lot slower when i first installed Mint Isadora.
I changed the DNS settings and all is well :D
Have a look here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/device/ubuntu/

Regards

Mick
Thank you! It kinda fixed it...
I went from 6 megabits to about 10 megabits.
Though that is still less than half of my original speeds.

Thanks for your help guys, but any other suggestions?
becca7

Post by becca7 »

Follow the following steps to increase the speed

1. Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
2. Expand the Administrative Templates branch
3. Expand the Network tab
4. Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
5. Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
6. Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %

After that check the speed here http://www.ip-details.com/

Return to “Beginner Questions”