Can't connect to internet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
urbancolour

Can't connect to internet

Post by urbancolour »

Hello all

I have converted my friend from Windows and installed Mint 9 onto her laptop

I have input my key for the wireless internet and I have the message in tool bar to let me know that connection is established

I just cant connect to the internet for either updates or browsing

I have switched the pc on and off and still no success

The laptop is 2x Intel core 2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73Hz (Dell)

I didnt have this problem with my own desktop, but that is wired and not wireless, My sons windows laptop has no problems connecting wireless

Can someone help please

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Can't connect to internet

Post by proxima_centauri »

On the laptop in question, please open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

inxi -N
This will display the network card(s) information. Please copy the Wireless card information here for our reference.
urbancolour

Post by urbancolour »

NETWORK: card-1 intel pro wireless 3945ABG [GOLAN] network connection driver wl3945

card-2 broadcom BCM4401-B0 100base- TX driver b44

Thanks
urbancolour

Post by urbancolour »

Dont know if this will help but I went onto the Dell site (the laptop I am using is an Inspiron 6400)

INTEL® PRO WIRELESS 3945 802.11A/B/

Does this make the solution easier

I can connect to the net using my ethernet cable also

Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”