Installing Spotify on Mint 9 problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caspar88

Installing Spotify on Mint 9 problem

Post by caspar88 »

I have installed Wine and Wine doors, downloaded Spotify Installer.exe but when I right click and select 'Open with Wine Windows program loader' I get the error message:

The file '/home/douglas/Downloads/Spotify Installer(2).exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMT

Re: Installing Spotify on Mint 9 problem

Post by SMT »

Hi caspar88

did you google and read about the executable bit as instructed in the error? you would have received these instructions if you had.

By default windows .exe files are not allowed to execute as a program in linux. You have to locate the .exe that you want to run, right click it, select properties... in the properties window click the permissions tab, and tick the box to "allow executing the file as a program". Then make sure that you run the program with wine. you might have to right click the icon and select "Open with wine"
caspar88

Post by caspar88 »

Thanks SMT, all working now.
SMT

Post by SMT »

Great,

is this one solved?

Return to “Beginner Questions”