Installing Google Chrome (Stable + Beta) at the same time..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Khalid

Installing Google Chrome (Stable + Beta) at the same time..

Post by Khalid »

Is there a way to do that? I just installed Google Chrome from the website, the stable version, now I'm trying to get the beta version from Chromium, I downloaded it and trying to install it but it's saying:

Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'google-chrome-stable'

I thought I read somewhere here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=55091 that I can install both of them at the same time?

Some information you might want to know:
I'm running Linux Mint 6 Gloria (Gnome) 32-bit + I installed the stable version from a file called:

google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

So the other one is:

google-chrome-beta_current_i386.deb

Also, I did not use Terminal to do anything.. I just double clicked the .deb it runs a package manager that installs everything for me.

Thank you for reading and trying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Craig_Dem

Re: Installing Google Chrome (Stable + Beta) at the same tim

Post by Craig_Dem »

When I switched to the dev version I just uninstalled via synaptic then installed the dev via .deb.
Khalid

Post by Khalid »

Craig_Dem wrote:When I switched to the dev version I just uninstalled via synaptic then installed the dev via .deb.
Okay and what? o_O
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

Google Chrome has 4 release channels; stable, beta, dev and a bleeding-edge one. I used to use the stable build, but I have switched to the dev channel. To do that I uninstalled google-chrome from synaptic package manager. I then installed google-chrome dev channel by downloading the .deb from the chrome website. I do not think you can install stable and beta side by side but in my experience, even the dev build is highly stable.
Khalid

Post by Khalid »

Are you sure of that? Because someone else said that it is possible!

Return to “Beginner Questions”