Acer Netbook Extremely Slow with Mint 9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMD

Acer Netbook Extremely Slow with Mint 9

Post by SMD »

Hi All,

I have recently made the move from windows across to Linux Mint 9, and will never use windows again!

The problem I am having is that my netbook is extremely slow, when I check in the system monitor it shows my CPU usage hovering around 96% constantly and the majority of the time it's at 100%. The machine is so slow that even reading a pdf file when scrolling down it seems the screen is "framing". Opening applications is also a tedious exercise and takes a long time.

I am using an Acer Aspire One netbook with 1.3Ghz CPU and 2GB Ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sheldon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gramps50

Re: Acer Netbook Extremely Slow with Mint 9

Post by Gramps50 »

I have used LM8 on my Gateway netbook and it has not displayed you symptoms. Open the System Montor and on the processes page it should show you the program(s) that are using all the cpu cycles. Without knowing what is using the cycles it rather hard to give you any recommendations.

I am also wondering if your iso is bad, did you run the md5 checksum on it. Did you install it from a usb flash drive or externial cdrom?

Hang in there, there are some real smart and helpful people here in the Mint forums.
SMD

Post by SMD »

I ran the md5 checksum and all seemed ok, the installation was done off a CD Rom.

When I check the processes in the system monitor almost everything was on 0% however the gnome-system-monitor was running at 90% this seems to fluctuate as I scroll up or down between the processes.

I also switched windows to evolution and back to system monitor this shot up the Evolution usage to 46% just by switching windows.

This is truly confusing, as my laptop also froze this morning whilst only using Skype, Firefox and my broadband 3G. I left it for approximately 10 min and nothing happened so I had to remove the battery and restart again. From there everything seems fine.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I'm using LMDE on my aspire one netbook and it is running smoothly.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

My wife has an eMachines netbook, Atom 1.66ghz, 1 gig memory, and it runs nicely, even with Compiz an Cairo dock. (She likes her bling. :-) )

In terminal, enter the command "top" without the quotation marks. It should show what's hogging the resources.

Are visual effects enabled? Menu> Control Center> Appearance> Visual Effects. If they are, try disabling them and see if it makes a difference.

It may be easier for someone to help if they have more info on your computer, such as what graphics card. Did you install any drivers? I assume you are running the Main Edition (Gnome.) Is it a fresh install, or have you added anything?

ANgel
krimzonstarr

Post by krimzonstarr »

I have the Acer Aspire One ZG5, about 2 years old. Runs beautifully with Ubuntu (last 3 releases), Mint 9, and several others. No performance hiccups, just the typical multicard not being hot-swappable unless the machine is booted with a card in the right-hand slot. Try

Code: Select all

sudo top
in a terminal and see what is eatting up all your computrons.

Return to “Beginner Questions”