Ownerships changed on their own.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inktitan

Ownerships changed on their own.

Post by inktitan »

I am not sure if this will be a continuing problem. I started my computer and received a pointer out of range error. Then a unable to locate boot device error before Linux started. A quick reset and these went away though it has happened a couple of times I'm not worried about that unless you tell me otherwise. I equate it to the old windows ntldr missing. Anyways after logging in to Linux I go to move file from a partition on my external drive to a different partition on the same drive and I notice the red circle containing the - sign. I check permissions and sure enough they are now owned by a different user. Now i could chown all day but I was intimidated by the task of chowning so many files. I came to the forums looking for similar occurances then went back to access the file and they were mine again. So crisis averted but I still want to know why this happened and if it will be a continuing security issue. I am using

Code: Select all

System:    Host inktitan Kernel 2.6.32-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 9 Isadora - Xfce
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Ownerships changed on their own.

Post by inktitan »

Well, it happened again. Ownership switched, but this time it did not revert back to me. I noticed that i was using the RC and don't know if that is significant but i made my APTonCD and am going to install the final release. I just don't want to have to chown all those files.
inktitan

Re: Ownerships changed on their own.

Post by inktitan »

I think I tracked the source but I'd like feed back. The standard update manager that comes with Mint 9 XFCE does not mention I need any security/bug updates but the kpackage kit does. When I apply these changes it informs me I need to update the Mint Kernel "linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic : version 2.6.32.24-42" It was after I did this and rebooted that I had started having weird issues such as the desktop flashing upon start up and random freezing. The next day is when it had switched permissions for the first time. It may only be coincidence. I was also using the XFCE RC version at the time My question is why would one package manager detect updates another wont? Is it because they have access to deferent repositories? And is there a significant difference in stability between the RC and final release?

Return to “Beginner Questions”