Problem with compiz config.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintnewbie63

Problem with compiz config.

Post by mintnewbie63 »

I finally got rid of the radeon 3450 card and I am using the motherboards ati hd3200 integrated chipset, I activated the ati proprietory driver from 'hardware drivers', I set up ati catalyst control which at display manager gives me only one choice 'single display desktop (multi-desktop). I dont know if this is the correct one for compiz and desktop cube, I then went to compiz config settings and ticked the basics for the cube, I found out after googling that I also have to tick the deformation and reflection buttons, but this buttons are not there, I found them only in 'simple compiz config.' and only the reflection one works, the deformation seems to be blocked, also I found after googling that at general options in compiz config settings under 'desktop size' I have to set the horizontal size to 8, vertical size to 2, and desktops to 2, everything works but the desktop, which is stuck to 1 and will not change. At the moment my desktop cube is one full screen size, all other effects work and the cube changes sides from the workspace switcher or by mouse scrolling to left or right edge of the screen, there is no smaller cube in the middle of the screen, any help with this will be appreciated thank you all, Gary.: motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintnewbie63

Re: Problem with compiz config.

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi again, i dont know if this helps but by running "compiz --replace" command this is what it gives me:gary@gary-desktop ~ $ compiz --replace
compiz (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/gary/.compiz/session/10730b646c3e72f9ee12843506114128600000015760000"
compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png
compiz (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/ubuntu.png
Since i'm a newbie please be as simple as posible and thank you again.
mintnewbie63

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi, i finally found what the problem is:gary@gary-desktop ~ $ cd Documents
gary@gary-desktop ~/Documents $ ./compiz-check

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Linux Mint
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Driver in use: fglrx
Rendering method: None

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system... [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems... [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
Error: No rendering method in use (AIGLX, Xgl or Nvidia)

it seems there is no rendering method in use and from some more googling i found that i have to add in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf this lines: Option AIGLX "true", and Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true", only i dont know how to do that, any help will be appreciated thank you all, Gary.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

According to the synaptic package manger fglrx on supports 2D. For the fancy compiz stuff you need 3D acceleration I believe. This might be what you need if you don't already have it.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
or you can try looking for it in the synaptic package manger
This is assuming that particular card supports 3D acceleration.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Just to clear things up...fglrx is ATI's official proprietary 3D driver. radeon is the open-source version which is not developped by ATI (which has excellent 2D support but not much more than rudimentary 3D support, sort of like the nouveau driver).
mintnewbie63 wrote:it seems there is no rendering method in use and from some more googling i found that i have to add in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf this lines: Option AIGLX "true", and Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true", only i dont know how to do that, any help will be appreciated thank you all, Gary.
Open up a terminal, and paste:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Under where it says

Section "Device"
paste those two lines there. E.g., this is the relevant section in my own xorg.conf, with the nvidia proprietary driver installed:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver	"nvidia"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection
(In other words, just put the Options each on one line after the other, following the declaration of the driver being used...in your case, it would be 'Driver "fglrx"')

And if that works for you, compiz-check should spit out something similar to this:

vincent@vincent-laptop ~ $ compiz-check

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution:          Linux Mint 9
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_isadora.php
 Desktop environment:   GNOME
 Graphics chip:         nVidia Corporation G98M [GeForce G 105M] (rev a1)
 Driver in use:         nvidia
 Rendering method:      Nvidia

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap...               [ OK ]
 Checking for non power of two support...          [ OK ]
 Checking for composite extension...               [ OK ]
 Checking for FBConfig...                          [ OK ]
 Checking for hardware/setup problems...           [ OK ]
mintnewbie63

Re: Problem with compiz config.[SOLVED]

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi and Thank you all for your kind help with my problems, the reason for posting the way i did is that first i thought it was a problem with the ATI catalyst or the HD3200 chipset, after googling and going through a lot of simple & limited "how to's" i come to "compiz conf in ubuntu" in ubuntu's official documentation which is also simple & limited but it does say something about AIGLX and gave me a link to compiz, after i went through everything in compiz i come to compiz-check which helped me a lot to understand what was going on, and the funny part of all this is that i tried to manually (type) those lines in the Xorg.conf file, "dont shoot i'm only a newbie i'm still learning". Thank you again, Gary.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Did you follow my instructions above or not?
mintnewbie63

Re:[SOLVED] Problem with compiz config.

Post by mintnewbie63 »

Hi vincent, Yes i followed your instructions and it's working good, but someone must worn the guys from compiz that what is written on their site under the set up tab is wrong, it actually says to add the line with Option "AIGLX" "true" on the first section from the top ( "Server layout" section i think ) of xorg.conf , i learned the hard way, made the mistake myself and after i turned the computer off could not boot again so i did a clean install and did everything the correct way, and thats the good thing about Linux it is powerfull and yet even a newbie like me can use it (with a little bit of help from my friends), Thank you again.
vincent

Post by vincent »

All right, glad I could help. Just for future reference though...you didn't have to re-install Linux. You could have just booted up a live CD, mounted your hard drive, find the broken copy of xorg.conf on your / partition, and edit that from the live CD. Or you could run in recovery mode and use vi/nano to edit xorg.conf.

Return to “Beginner Questions”