Partition & Read Only [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SLinovitz

Partition & Read Only [Solved]

Post by SLinovitz »

Hello.

I doubt this problem is unique, even tried solving it by searching the forums, but so far haven't found a solution.

I run Mint 9 Isadora on my laptop (/dev/sda3, fs=ext4) and created an additional partition for storage on the same hard drive (/dev/sda4, fs=ext4) using GParted installed via the Software Manager.

Everything was successful except I'm only able to mount the new partition (sda4) as read only. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Partition & Read Only

Post by oobetimer »

SLinovitz wrote:Hello.

I doubt this problem is unique, even tried solving it by searching the forums, but so far haven't found a solution.

I run Mint 9 Isadora on my laptop (/dev/sda3, fs=ext4) and created an additional partition for storage on the same hard drive (/dev/sda4, fs=ext4) using GParted installed via the Software Manager.

Everything was successful except I'm only able to mount the new partition (sda4) as read only. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Make a mount-point and add it to the /etc/fstab

Terminal commands

sudo mkdir /mnt/partition

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

....add the line like this

/dev/sda4 /mnt/partition ext4 defaults 0 0

.....save and quit

sudo mount -a

sudo chown -R your_username: /mnt/partition
SLinovitz

Re: Partition & Read Only [Solved]

Post by SLinovitz »

@oobetimer
That worked. Problem solved. Thanks for the fast reply.

Return to “Beginner Questions”