help installing mint 9 on usb flash drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
corntoe21

help installing mint 9 on usb flash drive

Post by corntoe21 »

Hi I tried installing mint 9 on a microcenter 8 gig pendrive. I have tried 2 methods usb startup creator from mint live cd and also the universal usb installer from pendrivelinux.com. Neither of these methods will boot. My motherboard is set to boot from usb. My motherboard is an intel d865gvlc. My question is it my motherboard or the cheap microcenter flash drive that usnt working or something else all together. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: help installing mint 9 on usb flash drive

Post by seeley »

Hi!
Since I use PartedMagic, I had no problems - except openSUSE (see link below).
seeley

Edit:
1. PM contains UNetbootin to make a live-USB.
2. With "dd" you also can make a live-USB.
I made it with openSUSE- LXDE.iso, which was stored in /home/Downloads; target: USB-stick "sdb"!

Code: Select all

seeley-laptop Downloads # dd if=openSUSE-LXDE-11.3.i686-0.9.8-Build1.2.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M;sync
corntoe21

Post by corntoe21 »

Hi thanks for your help as I am pretty new to linux im not sure how to do exactly what you are talking about. Are there any tutorials that I can follow. Thanks very much!
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
PartedMagic is an linux operating system with useful tools like GParted, UNetbootin, ...
At the end of this posting, Fitzcarraldo explains the use of UNetbootin:
http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=10
You can create a live-USB with the linux you prefer. First you must download the PartedMagic.iso, burn an image and then boot from this medium and start UNetbootin.
seeley
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi corntoe21!
Maybe you need some more help, but first I should know the following details:
1. Fixed disk: a) capacity - used/ unused, b) windows installed?
2. Flash drive: read, write, copying possible?
3. What do you know about partitioning?
4. What desktop is installed on your live-CD: Gnome, KDE,...?
seeley
corntoe21

Post by corntoe21 »

Hey thanks for your help. I got my computer to boot from usb with linux mint 9 on it. Now I have another problem it loads to the splash screen the one where it it has the logo and the little dots under it but it wont get past that. Any ideas? thanks again for your help
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
No, I can't help; only thing to mention: I had the same problem with an installed Mint9 KDE - it was solved [ I hope ] with
the last kernel-update. Before that I had an automatic log in and after the kernel-update it was changed to an log in with
user and password, but I did nothing else but an automatic update (kernel included).
Sorry,
seeley
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

I've used Lili Live Linux USB Creator with much success. It's Windows only, but it's worked like a charm for me every time.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Return to “Beginner Questions”