Not acknowledging Blank DVDs[Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inktitan

Not acknowledging Blank DVDs[Solved]

Post by inktitan »

I have looked around a bit and found there exist a mounting bug that prevents certain media from being mounted. In my case the media is not detected at all. I am using Maxwell blank DVD-Rs. I had to use Windows to burn Mint Debian to the DVD and it ran fine on my PC. I still prefer the XFCE so that is what I have now. The problem is when I go to burn anything to the DVD it is not recognized by anything on my computer as even being int the drive. Disk utility tells me no media present. Brasero and XFburn say the same. Is there a codec I am missing? Or is blank Maxwell a nogo for Linux? I should note that these same DVDs worked for me under XP on this same machine. I can play DVDs just fine and The Debian disk mounts automatically when I put it in the drive and it was burned to the same Maxwell blanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Not acknowledging Blank DVDs

Post by oobetimer »

How about K3b ?

sudo apt-get install k3b
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Is there a way I can get the without all the Kbaggage? My system becomes real buggy when i introduce some of those KDE elements :?
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

what are you using presently for burning?Brasero?
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

It might be worth updating the firmware in the DVD drive, especially if you've had it a while and the disks are new stock. It may not recognise the media type. If that fixes the Linux problem, then I guess the Windows XP software you used was able to work around it.

Also; a blank DVD (or CD) can not be mounted. There has to be a filesystem in place and a blank has none.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

grey1960envoy wrote:what are you using presently for burning?Brasero?
Yes, I prefer Brasero but I had tried XFburn.
It might be worth updating the firmware in the DVD drive, especially if you've had it a while and the disks are new stock. It may not recognise the media type. If that fixes the Linux problem, then I guess the Windows XP software you used was able to work around it.

Also; a blank DVD (or CD) can not be mounted. There has to be a filesystem in place and a blank has none.
What are the risks of doing a firmware update? I will look up the process.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

inktitan wrote:What are the risks of doing a firmware update? I will look up the process.
Pretty risk free these days, I would think. Except for the obvious risk of having to use Windows to do it.

Make sure you get the right file for your make/model and about all that can go wrong is a power failure during the write. But please don't blame me if it breaks. :)
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

CDRWDVD TS-H493A
This is my device and according to dell it does not support dvd-r/dvd+r. So either Windows is magic or I was mistaken. Its been a while so I lean towards the latter. Will a firmware update allow me to support the dvd-r/+r functions? I'm not finding much for my particular device.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Try installing K3b using Mint Software Manager instead of apt-get or package manager. Mint Software Manager installs only what K3b needs to run, and not Akonaditray and all those other KDE apps.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

tdockery97 wrote:Try installing K3b using Mint Software Manager instead of apt-get or package manager. Mint Software Manager installs only what K3b needs to run, and not Akonaditray and all those other KDE apps.
Thanks but I have discovered the issue to be hardware. :( So I will have to buy a new DVD drive :evil: Alas my sister lets me use her Vista box :twisted: Which I finally convinced her was not as good as Linux so now she wants M$W7 :roll:
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

An another choice is to use ImgBurn via wine .. :wink:

http://www.imgburn.com/

"
ImgBurn supports all the Microsoft Windows OS's - Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008 and Windows 7 (including all the 64-bit versions). If you use Wine, it should also run on Linux and other x86-based Unixes.

"

Return to “Beginner Questions”