Wireless OK - Can't Access Internet

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parislexi

Wireless OK - Can't Access Internet

Post by parislexi »

My wireless connection 100% enabled but I cannot access the internet via my wireless set up.

I can access internet fine via ethernet cable.

Suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msakms

Re: Wireless OK - Can't Access Internet

Post by msakms »

Did you check if you require any addresses like your IP,netmask, DNS and so, provided by your ISP or is it automatically grabbed??
parislexi

Post by parislexi »

Something happened between Friday night and Saturday morning.

Before that, since around Aug 10 when I installed mint 9 and connected with wireless (have 3 laptops that connected fine wirelessly) everything worked fine.
Satuday morning, I could only connect to the Linux PC via ethernet cable (1 PC is Windows XP & 1 is MacBook OS: both still OK wirelessly).
Sunday (today) after I sent my previous message, the Linux PC connected wirelessly for awhile (I hadn't changed any thing), but kept dropping/disconnecting through out the day.
Now it won't connect at all on the Linux PC, although, as noted in my previous message, the wireless is enabled and the bars at lower right on screen are at 100%.

Don't know why the sudden change in accessibility. Was great before Saturday morning.
Haven't a clue re: what happened.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Temporarily disable security on your wireless network (e.g. WEP/WPA), and see if the connection works properly. Also, please paste the output of the following terminal commands:

Code: Select all

lspci -v
lsmod
inxi -N
parislexi

Post by parislexi »

Not sure how to 'temporarily disable security' but I just changed security to 'None' instead of providing password w/WEP/WPA Personal'. Couldn't get to the internet after making that change.

Here is the output of the terminal commands requested (after changing security to none): ( The output was so lengthy so I put the output in a file as an attachment to this message. Hope I did this correctly)
LinuxWirelessSecurityNoneNoInternetWireless.odt
vincent

Post by vincent »

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) 
	Subsystem: Dell Device 000c 
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17 
	Memory at f69fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] 
	Capabilities: <access denied> 
	Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge 
	Kernel modules: ssb 
Broadcom. No surprise there. :P

If you are using LMDE; Linux Mint Debian (i.e. Debian-based), follow this guide:
http://wiki.debian.org/wl

If you are using Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 9, follow this guide (Ubuntu-based):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... er/bcm43xx

If you're using Linux Mint 9 though, check mintMenu > Control Centre > Hardware Drivers first to see if your Broadcom card is recognized and a proprietary driver is offered for it. If not, either one of the above guides will instruct you on the manual way of installing the proprietary driver.

You'll need an ethernet connection regardless of the method you pick above.

Next time somebody asks for terminal output, please use the

[code]
[/code] tags and put the output in there. Also, if you're going to put something extremely long (your output of those terminal commands is actually of a perfectly normal length, so the code tags are fine; I'm talking about something like log files, or dmesg output), my advice is to paste it in a txt file and dump it into a gzipped tarball. Not an odt file.
parislexi

[SOLVED]Re: Wireless OK - Can't Access Internet

Post by parislexi »

Thank you, Vincent, for the suggestion to check the Ubuntu-based information re: Wireless connection/Internet.

The instructions for 'installing b43/STA hybrid drivers' were followed and a connection has been good for quite awhile now.

Previously, when all was working fine before, I remember installing 'b43' only via 'hardware drivers', but not 'sta'.
Also, I didn't install the bcmwl-kernel-source package before either.
This time I installed the 2 items that were not previously installed ('sta' & bcmwl-kernel-source). The 'B43' item was already installed.

Barbara :D
Cincinnati, Ohio
vincent

Post by vincent »

Glad to know I was able to help. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”