[Solved] Trouble with Rythm Box

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Trouble with Rythm Box

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Hi!

I've been trying to copy some of my CDs onto Rhythm Box. But something odd happens after I copy 1-2 CDs. First, It won't recognize the CD at all; it does not recognize Artist, Album title, or track names. Not only that, if I type in all that information manually, and then copy the CD, my Ethernet connection drops for quite a while, and not even rebooting the computer seems to bring it back quickly. The Ethernet does reconnect, but it's slow to do so.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Trouble with Rythm Box

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Additional:

I thought it was just Rhythmbox that was being difficult, so I tried Amarok to see what happens. Amarok won't recognize any CD I put in it either. Although the existing songs in the /Music/ folder seem fine.

Could this be an Internet issue, somehow?
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Rip them with Asunder, then just import the files into Rhythmbox.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

.. nad Rhythmbox also has trouble with ripping Audio CDs to mp3. (I have made a thread on this)

Use Ruby Ripper - slow but accurate, or Asunder - fast for doing the ripping.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I use sound Juicer and worked great for me and I had no problems :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Soundjuicer is ok, but has stuff all options.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Thanks for the ripping suggestions. Unfortunately, that didn't do much; the ripping software didn't seem able to recognize CD information either. :?

I strongly suspect that my having imported my old Windows iTunes library in one go into the /Music/ folder might have been the problem.

One folder in particular had over 400 (!) audio files. That was a collection of old Soviet propaganda tunes (from http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/index.php) that I downloaded for a laugh months ago. What can I say? They're free, and I like freebies! I rather suspect that one folder was the main problem. I didn't have any problem with that huge folder in Windows iTunes, but now that I think of it, it just might have been a problem with Rhythmbox and/or Linux.

Would anyone know one way or the other if just copying a whole iTunes collection into one's /Music/ file like that is a bad idea? I rather suspect now that it is!

Thanks in advance; again!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

No idea, don't use iTunes, but Rhythmbox handles my 13,000+ song collection fine. ( iripped them all with either Asunder, or Rubyripper)
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Midnighter wrote:No idea, don't use iTunes, but Rhythmbox handles my 13,000+ song collection fine. ( iripped them all with either Asunder, or Rubyripper)
This problem doesn't make sense to me either! All I know is that my Internet connection kept closing out whenever I started using Rhythmbox. It seems to be okay now that I've cleared off my /Music/ folder and am just loading my CD collection one at a time instead of just copying the lot through Nautilus.

And anyway, being new to this stuff; is it normal for some CDs to show up as "Unknown Artist" and no names on the tracks if it's a small label sort of thing?
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

The info for albums is read from an online database, so if the albums don't exist (aren't added) in the database, then yes, they will show as unknown.

Shouldn't need to add things one at a time, with Rhythmbox open should just select Music (left, top) and Import Folder, adding all your stuff that way.

Very odd that your internet would drop if used Rhythmbox, can't think why that would happen. How do you connect to the net?
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Midnighter wrote:The info for albums is read from an on-line database, so if the albums don't exist (aren't added) in the database, then yes, they will show as unknown.

Shouldn't need to add things one at a time, with Rhythmbox open should just select Music (left, top) and Import Folder, adding all your stuff that way.

Very odd that your Internet would drop if used Rhythmbox, can't think why that would happen. How do you connect to the net?

This is really getting Frustrating! :evil:

I tried using Asunder; twice. First time while playing music on Rhythmbox; it was 90% done, stopped ripping and my Internet connection just cut out yet again. The second time I tried Asunder, I was using no other programs. I didn't lose my Internet connection, but Asunder didn't do a thing. I started to show a progress report and then it just stopped entirely and did not rip a single thing.

My Internet connection is a Motorola Ethernet modem. My computer is plugged into a wireless router's cable connection and the wireless router is plugged into the modem. I did try plugging in my computer directly to the modem to see if the router was the culprit, but I still got the same lost Internet result.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Odd. I can think of no reason this would affect your net connection. At all.

What hardware do you have? How old is your machine? Is your cd/dvd drive new? Anything you can think to mention that might be relevant? This is rather odd.
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Midnighter wrote:Odd. I can think of no reason this would affect your net connection. At all.

What hardware do you have? How old is your machine? Is your cd/dvd drive new? Anything you can think to mention that might be relevant? This is rather odd.
It's really quite frustrating, this one.

My computer is about 4-5 years old, it still has the original CDR and DVD drives. My modem is a Motorola SB5102 Ethernet modem and my router is a DLink WBR-1310. As I said, though, just plugging the computer straight into the modem didn't seem to make any difference to this problem.

The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that I tried unsuccessfully to get an ASUS USB N-13 wireless adaptor to work on my computer. Several times. It never did work, for me. So, I just moved my computer from the 'office' (spare bedroom) to my bedroom where the cable connection and Ethernet modem are located. I'd forgotten about not being able to make that wireless adaptor to work. That's the only hardware and software add-on or issue I can think of for my desktop computer.

Except for this problem of trying to play music files, my Internet connection is just fine. And my modem and router are lit up and flashing as they should, so I don't think either of them are the problem.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

No idea about your net connection, but as for the cd not finishing ripping, 4-5 years is a good life for a cd/dvd drive, laser could be a bit worn, so either run a laser-cleaning disk thru it, or get another dvd drive would be a good idea. Replacing it based on age alone would be an idea. The pc itself should be fine, I have one about that age, but the disc drive needed replacing, it kept having probs with some discs.
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Midnighter wrote:No idea about your net connection, but as for the cd not finishing ripping, 4-5 years is a good life for a cd/dvd drive, laser could be a bit worn, so either run a laser-cleaning disk thru it, or get another dvd drive would be a good idea. Replacing it based on age alone would be an idea. The pc itself should be fine, I have one about that age, but the disc drive needed replacing, it kept having probs with some discs.
That might be one problem; but that wouldn't explain why my Internet connection fails when I play any songs that are stored on my hard drive. Or would it?
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Always trust Linux Mint.

Return to “Beginner Questions”