Use HTPC as file server

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tommyguitfiddle

Use HTPC as file server

Post by tommyguitfiddle »

What I want to do is access the audio and video files that are on my HTPC with my other computers on the same home network. All computers are running Linux Mint 9. I'm very new to networking in Linux, and I have not been able to find a solution to this in these forums. I get the feeling that it should be much simpler than I am making it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Use HTPC as file server

Post by JasonLG »

tommyguitfiddle wrote:What I want to do is access the audio and video files that are on my HTPC with my other computers on the same home network. All computers are running Linux Mint 9. I'm very new to networking in Linux, and I have not been able to find a solution to this in these forums. I get the feeling that it should be much simpler than I am making it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Tom
The fastest and easiest way would be to share the folders that contain the audio and video by right clicking them and going to "Sharing Options" Then check the "Share this Folder" and "Guest Access" boxes. To view the shared folders from other computers in you network click "Network" in the Mint Menu and then navigate to the folders in question.
Fafler

Post by Fafler »

You only need linux <-> linux sharing, so NFS is the natural choice. It has been around since forever and once setup, it always works.
Read about it here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
tommyguitfiddle

Post by tommyguitfiddle »

I do not see the shared folder listed. There is a Windows Network, and under that is Workgroup. When I try to open workgroup I get an error message that says failed to connect.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

tommyguitfiddle wrote:I do not see the shared folder listed. There is a Windows Network, and under that is Workgroup. When I try to open workgroup I get an error message that says failed to connect.
Do you have a firewall enabled? If so you either have to make an exception for samba or disable it completely.(Firewalls are generally unnecessary in a private network if said network is behind a router as they generally have a built in firewall.)

Return to “Beginner Questions”