Talk Me Out of Switching to Windows - Help w/ Samba & Music

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rabbit_fighter

Talk Me Out of Switching to Windows - Help w/ Samba & Music

Post by rabbit_fighter »

So I just built a new machine and have set it up with Mint 9 KDE. For the most part, I am really happy with it and am really enjoying some things, but there have been some serious issues.

1 - Samba: I am trying to share my music library to the network so I can read it from a laptop running XP, but I cannot get the drive to show up. I played around for awhile and got it to show up for awhile, but it has disappeared and I don't understand why. Sorry for the lack of screenshots, but if there is a simple set of things to check, I'd appreciate it.

2 - Music: I love Amarok as a player, but how do you move a playlist to a device? It seems impossible. I've tried Rhythmbox, which works much better, but keeps crashing on me. Also, I bought a Haier Rhapsody Ibiza mp3 player (you can get them cheap now!), and I can't mount it in Linux. The XP laptop sees it just fine, but Linux keeps losing track of it. I've put a bunch of music on, but as I said before, Rhythmbox keeps crashing on me.

Sorry for such a general post, but I feel like I need a talking down. I really like the idea of Linux and so far have been impressed with how user friendly things are. I'm just getting a bit frustrated by these issues and feel like a lot of this stuff would be working fine with Windows.

TALK SOME SENSE INTO ME!

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Talk Me Out of Switching to Windows - Help w/ Samba & Mu

Post by altair4 »

First, let me state that I don't use KDE so if there is some KDE application that does this or is getting in the way I wouldn't have a clue how to use it.
I would suggest posting the output of the following commands from your Linux box:

Code: Select all

testparm -s

smbtree
From the WinXP Box you could also provide the output of the following command in Command Prompt:

net view
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rabbit_fighter

Post by rabbit_fighter »

Well - I have the samba issue resolved.

I haven't done anything command line with Samba, but just through the GuI (Dolphin File Manager), I went to the Share options and clicked the box that allows other users to write to the shared directory. Clicking that box immediately made the folder show up on my XP laptop. After that, I unchecked it and the shared folder is still showing up there.

I feel silly for posting such a general set of questions without any real specifics, but I was just getting frustrated. If I have more issues, I'll start them in more issue specific threads with details that will actually allow people to help me.

Thank you very much for the feedback.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

if this issue is solved please edit your topic and add the word [solved] so for the other people with the same problem this thread will be useful for them as reference
~cheers~

xnostradamusx

Return to “Beginner Questions”