Trying to install Prey

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snydley

Trying to install Prey

Post by snydley »

I'm running Isadora KDE and am trying to install and run the game Prey. I've gotten to the point with Linux, (I'm not a BrandNewbee, but still a Newbee), where I can use a webbrowser and email program fine, and thought this might be a fun way to branch out a little and learn some more advanced things in Linux. I've been using PCs since back in the DOS days, so I know a little about using DOS commands, so I'm not scared of the terminal, I just don't know Linux commands that well, someday maybe. Anyway, I have WINE installed. I downloaded the binary executable from the Prey for Linux website, and also have the required 3 disk Windows version but can't get it to install. Here is the problem:
I change directory,(cd), to the directory the installer is in and type in the first command given on the games website, chmod a+rx ./prey-installer-02192009.bin, and hit enter, the screen goes back to the terminal prompt. I then type in the second command to start it up: ./prey-installer-02192009.bin .
The installer starts up, asks me to accept the license agreement, I select "Y", it shows me the install path, I hit "Enter", then it asks me to insert disk 1 in the drive. The disk is already in the drive so I click on the "OK" button. I asks me for the CD again everytime I click the ok button instead of continuing on with the install. It's like it doesn't "see" the CD drive. It does this whether or not the CD is in the drive before I start, or if I wait until it asks for it and then insert it.
I have a feeling I have to mount the CD drive first, but I don't know how to do that. On the same note, is there a way to start my system up and have all the drives and partitions mounted at system startup?
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Snyde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Trying to install Prey

Post by willie42 »

For some reason I suspect a CD ROM issue. I would check to see if your CD ROM shows up

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C disk
if it does then I would suspect that you might be using a CD ROM to read DVDs. Look to see if the discs are DVDs. I have been down this road before :oops:

if everything appears to be right then try to clean the CD ROM and try again.

Someone else may have some other ideas.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
snydley

Post by snydley »

willie42 wrote:For some reason I suspect a CD ROM issue. I would check to see if your CD ROM shows up

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C disk
if it does then I would suspect that you might be using a CD ROM to read DVDs. Look to see if the discs are DVDs.
Here's what I get with that:

-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: CDDVDW SH-S203B
vendor: TSSTcorp
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@3:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
logical name: /media/Prey_Disc1
version: SB03
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,utf8 state=mounted status=ready
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /media/Prey_Disc1
configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,utf8 state=mounted

I can't find an entry for my DVD drive in /etc/fstab and have been trying to figure out how to add it just to make sure it's mounted on startup. One thing I just noticed, I took the Prey disk out of the drive and put my DVDR of Mint in it, clicked on reload, but it still lists it as Prey in Dolphin on the left side of the viewer, but the contents of the MInt DVD are in the right side. I don't know if that's important or not.

I've been playing the game in Windows and it works fine, so I can assume the Prey disc and the drive are ok. Maybe it's something to do with the Prey for Linux installation program or Wine that's not setup right.
Thanks for the help,
Snyde
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

It shows your ROM drive so I am not sure from here maybe someone which a little more wisdom can assist in this issue.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
snydley

Post by snydley »

willie42 wrote:It shows your ROM drive so I am not sure from here maybe someone which a little more wisdom can assist in this issue.
I'm beginning to think maybe the problem I'm having isn't because my cdrom drive isn't mounted, but because I'm trying to run this program on a 64 bit version of Mint and maybe it's meant for a 32 bit version.
I can get the installer to run and it gets to the point where it asks for a CD, I insert it, but it can't "see" it. I click on "ok" and it won't go any further with the install, it just asks for the disc again, over and over. The drive works on any disk I put in it when viewed with a file manager though, so I think things are ok with it getting mounted.
My next idea is to add a 32 bit version of Linux to this machine and try it with that.
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley

Post by snydley »

willie42 wrote:It shows your ROM drive so I am not sure from here maybe someone which a little more wisdom can assist in this issue.
I was able to install openSUSE Linux 32 bit on my machine alongside Mint and Windows and tried installing Prey like I was doing on MInt 64 bit, and the same thing happens, it can't find the CDrom drive during install. So then I tried downloading the demo version to my hard drive and installed that. THAT installed correctly, started up the "new game" screen and when I selected "new game" the screen went dark. There's a video that plays when it starts, and I could see some movement, but it was so dark it wasn't viewable. So, either I don't know what I'm doing, most likely, or there's a problem with the Prey installer. I think I'm done with it.
I would like to be able to get 1 Windows program to work with WINE and Linux!
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley

[SOLVED] Re: Trying to install Prey

Post by snydley »

I finally got Prey to install and play. This was on Linux MInt 9 32 bit Gnome DVD version that I installed. It would not run on Linux MInt 9 Kde 64 bit, Gnome 64 git, OpenSUSE Kde 32 bit or Mandriva 32bit. I think the installer is just not meant to run on a 64 bit Linux, either that or Kde. Too bad too, because my machine has 4G or RAM and I liked the look of Kde over Gnome.
Thanks for all who helped!
Snyde :D
snydley wrote:I'm running Isadora KDE and am trying to install and run the game Prey. I've gotten to the point with Linux, (I'm not a BrandNewbee, but still a Newbee), where I can use a webbrowser and email program fine, and thought this might be a fun way to branch out a little and learn some more advanced things in Linux. I've been using PCs since back in the DOS days, so I know a little about using DOS commands, so I'm not scared of the terminal, I just don't know Linux commands that well, someday maybe. Anyway, I have WINE installed. I downloaded the binary executable from the Prey for Linux website, and also have the required 3 disk Windows version but can't get it to install. Here is the problem:
I change directory,(cd), to the directory the installer is in and type in the first command given on the games website, chmod a+rx ./prey-installer-02192009.bin, and hit enter, the screen goes back to the terminal prompt. I then type in the second command to start it up: ./prey-installer-02192009.bin .
The installer starts up, asks me to accept the license agreement, I select "Y", it shows me the install path, I hit "Enter", then it asks me to insert disk 1 in the drive. The disk is already in the drive so I click on the "OK" button. I asks me for the CD again everytime I click the ok button instead of continuing on with the install. It's like it doesn't "see" the CD drive. It does this whether or not the CD is in the drive before I start, or if I wait until it asks for it and then insert it.
I have a feeling I have to mount the CD drive first, but I don't know how to do that. On the same note, is there a way to start my system up and have all the drives and partitions mounted at system startup?
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Snyde

Return to “Beginner Questions”