I'm on Fedora now and I want to mintify it

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lolmint

I'm on Fedora now and I want to mintify it

Post by lolmint »

After having tried out all mint versions, well not Debian, one Ubuntu and all Fedora versions I made a permanent install of the latest Gnome Fedora.

The problem with it is that it looks and acts as Ubuntu (to me) and I just dont like it, first the menu is located at the top of the screen stealing valuable space.

I saw someone on the Ubuntuforums, make Ubuntu look just like Mint, I want to do this too, as I think the standard gnome look and function of Mint is the best I have tried. I like everything much more in Mint Gnome than Ubuntu and Fedora Gnome, but now i have to this one out for some time.

Looking here http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... adora#main this should be all I need I guess, but Fedora complains when I try to install any of the files

Impossible to install - KPackagekit

"This item is not supported by your backend, or it is not a file. "

How can i cicrumvent this and install them anyway?
Or how can I make Fedora Gnome look and act as Mint? I want my Mint-Fedora Hybrid.
There must be a way right? Its linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: I'm on Fedora now and I want to mintify it

Post by JasonLG »

lolmint wrote:After having tried out all mint versions, well not Debian, one Ubuntu and all Fedora versions I made a permanent install of the latest Gnome Fedora.

The problem with it is that it looks and acts as Ubuntu (to me) and I just dont like it, first the menu is located at the top of the screen stealing valuable space.

I saw someone on the Ubuntuforums, make Ubuntu look just like Mint, I want to do this too, as I think the standard gnome look and function of Mint is the best I have tried. I like everything much more in Mint Gnome than Ubuntu and Fedora Gnome, but now i have to this one out for some time.

Looking here http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... adora#main this should be all I need I guess, but Fedora complains when I try to install any of the files

Impossible to install - KPackagekit

"This item is not supported by your backend, or it is not a file. "

How can i cicrumvent this and install them anyway?
Or how can I make Fedora Gnome look and act as Mint? I want my Mint-Fedora Hybrid.
There must be a way right? Its linux.
You're not going to have much luck installing .deb's on an RPM based system unless you can find something that can convert .deb's to RPM's or you compiled the source of what you wanted to work in Fedora. Mint is pretty much the grandson of Debian and Fedora is pretty much the testing version of RedHat. They are 2 very different and incompatible Linux systems.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Here's the mintMenu packaged for Fedora. You can otherwise rearrange and edit your panels however you like, i.e., removing one panel and keeping a bottom one with all the applets you wish.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MintMenu
lolmint

Post by lolmint »

Anyone?
LongRider

Post by LongRider »

They are 2 very different and incompatible Linux systems.
If you want Fedora to look like Mint and act like Mint, why not just switch to Mint?
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

LongRider wrote:If you want Fedora to look like Mint and act like Mint, why not just switch to Mint?
:lol:
lolmint

Post by lolmint »

Sorry for my "anyone?" my browser did not update as it should. I have not tried the mint menu just yet but I'm exited :)
lolmint

Post by lolmint »

When I try the first terminal command
su -c "yum --nogpgcheck localinstall mintmenu-4.9.1-6.fc12.noarch.rpm "

I get this response

[liveuser@localhost ~]$ su -c "yum --nogpgcheck localinstall mintmenu-4.9.1-6.fc12.noarch.rpm "
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Setting up Local Package Process
Cannot open: mintmenu-4.9.1-6.fc12.noarch.rpm. Skipping.
Nothing to do

So whats next?
lolmint

Post by lolmint »

Ok I got it to work. right click on the panel then choose add to panel, then a manu pops up where you can lots of stuff, add mint menu, then right click on the standard menu and choose remove from panel. And now it works. :D
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

You are right, this is linux and it should be able to do almost everything.

Now, you want to install 'alien' package. It will convert Mint package (.deb) to Fedora package (.rpm).
Not guaranteed to work.

You can compile from source, then it will surely work :D

Regards,

Return to “Beginner Questions”