Frustrating Destop 'bug' help needed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Frustrating Destop 'bug' help needed

Post by Orographic »

Hi guys,

Whenever I have Firefox open on my 22" screen and click on the show desktop icon in the bottom panel and then open an image or another program from the desktop, Firefox just disappears and I can't find it anywhere.

Is this a common problem? How do I find Firefox again. I can see it in system monitor but can't get my currently opened Firefox instance back on the desktop. i have to re-open Firefox and start again.

Its a bit frustrating when I have fireftp open and am working on files on my website in Firefox. I often do this and want to open Gimp to edit an image before uploading it but Firefox is not there when I re-click on the show-desktop icon.

If I just click on the show desktop icon with Firefox open and then click it again, Firefox is still there but if I open another program, Firefox disappears.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Frustrating Destop 'bug' help needed

Post by Orographic »

Oops, egg on face. <blush>

I originally removed the standard Mint menu and replaced it with the custom menu like Ubuntu, which I am used to. That seems to have gotten rid of the window selector which you can restore to the bottom panel from the add to panel option.

Sorry about the confusion.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

Orographic,

hee hee!

Well ... Ctrl-Alt-D will minimize all open windows, Ctrl-Alt-D again, re-instates.... just in case!

God Bless
Doug

welcome to Mint!
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Thanks, that's good advice too! Will keep it in mind.

I originally tried out Mint ages ago (see my initial registered in forums date) but have come back to it now and really like LTS 9 Mint, its cool.

Return to “Beginner Questions”