Getting Wireless to Load on Boot Mint Debian Edition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mamamia88

Getting Wireless to Load on Boot Mint Debian Edition

Post by mamamia88 »

Well I just installed mint debian edition and managed to get my nvidia and broadcom drivers working but the broadcom driver doesn't load on boot. i have to run modprobe b43 as root to get wireless to work. does anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Getting Wireless to Load on Boot Mint Debian Edition

Post by dawgdoc »

What procedures did you use to install the Broadcom drivers?
Did you remove conflicting drivers?

What is your wireless chipset --

Code: Select all

inxi -N
mamamia88

Post by mamamia88 »

Card-1 Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver b43-pci-bridge
Card-2 nVidia MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth

and i just installed from synaptic b4-firmware cutter and the sta driver
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

It seems you have parts of two different drivers, b43 and sta. I have the same wireless setup and am using the sta driver, it shows as wl
Card-1 Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver wl

Gramps50 provided a script which you can run to install the driver. It is at the bottom of THIS post. I used the same process to install this driver in my laptop, but had not seen his script. I ran each command in the script in terminal after having found the instructions in a debian wiki post. HERE (Step 1 is not needed because the needed packages are already in LMDEs repositories.)
yazdzik

Post by yazdzik »

Dear m,

The two drivers conflict.
First of all, if you have actually installed the sta driver, try in a terminal as root:

Code: Select all

rmmod wl
rmmod b43

modprobe wl

see if it loads

if so, your wireless should work. b43 does not support that chip(I have the same chip).

If you need further instructions, please let us know.

For others reading this, in debian, for this module, one installs the source package, broadcom-sta-source, then uses module assistant to build and install the package.

Thus, for ease of use later on:
apt-get install synaptic module-assistant

then one can search in synaptic, broadcom, and the results give you the source package and "common" install both.

then, as root, module-assistant, which gives options, like prepare system. Make sure you do them.

There is a list, go to the module you want to build, and it will ask you if you want to build it, obviously, you do. Then, equally obvious to the install question, yes.

rmmod b43
modprobe wl

and all should work

to prevent b43 from starting, as root edit /etc/modproe.d/blacklist.cont to include the line "blacklist b43" w/o quotes.

Best wishes,

Martin
mamamia88

Post by mamamia88 »

if b43 doesn't support that chipset then how come whenever i load it my wireless works? i tried those commands you told me and it says that sta isn't loaded. therefore i can only assume b43 is working. nvm ran module asistant and now it seems to work. in that conf file there doesn't seem to be any text should i create some?

Return to “Beginner Questions”