Internal microphone not switching to external mic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cavehomme

Internal microphone not switching to external mic

Post by cavehomme »

Hi there,

Glad to be a newbie on Mint and linux generally, and looking forward to years of safe computing away from the nightmare world of windows with which I have been for 25 years now :shock:

I have a Dell Vostro 1220 laptop and just installed Mint 9 Gnome 64 bit.

I have noticed that whilst running Skype the external microphone will not be recognised by the system although it is properly plugged into the jack. External loudspeakers work OK, but not the mic. The other person can hear me if I speak into the inbuilt mic, but it is a bit awkward and I am surprised that neither in Skype nor Pulseaudio nor sound preferences can I anywhere see anything obvious to be able to switch between the mics.

I use Skype for business reasons and so it is fairly useful for me to try and crack this issue. Any help much appreciated. Also I just learned how to install and use Video4Linux to be able to enable webcam for skype. It works, but I understand that I need to run the app each time I want to video conference, so its a small inconvenience and I am wondering if there is a way around that.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sythe

Re: Internal microphone not switching to external mic

Post by sythe »

Linux assumes that the built-in microphone is your preferred microphone.
Are you sure that your external microphone is a USB microphone?

Return to “Beginner Questions”