Session closes when I press ENTER and Crashes Frequently

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eormeno

Session closes when I press ENTER and Crashes Frequently

Post by eormeno »

Hello People, I have installed mint on my home and my job and on both sides the same thing happens: after a while of use, when I'm typing, allways when I press ENTER, the the session is automatically closed!!!
Another annoying thing is that too often when I'm watching a video, the interface chrashes... in such a way that I must turn off the PC, because the keyboard don't.
I'm thinking that perhaps these problems are due to proprietary N-vidia driviers... ie, I presume they are related to the video.
Thank you very much, I expect your valuable comments

Emilio Ormeño
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Session closes when I press ENTER and Crashes Frequently

Post by Silent Warrior »

You didn't give us a lot to go on, you know. :wink: What program were you working with when the session ended? What did you type? Is there a chance this is due to overheating - how hot is the room, is the ventilation good? My first suspicion was that the screen got locked, but that doesn't happen unless the computer is idle - pressing Enter has nothing to do with that.
As for the video, again, what player were you using? Is Compiz active? If so, disable it and see if you can watch videos with less problems. (Quick disable: metacity --replace. Bring Compiz back by entering compiz --replace.) What driver version (less important), what hardware (quite important)?
eormeno

Re: Session closes when I press ENTER and Crashes Frequently

Post by eormeno »

Thanks, it was the compiz... I was using the most "beautiful" screen and windows effects... The system is stable again..

Thanks very much
Emilio

Return to “Beginner Questions”