Add the install CD as a repository

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
normanp

Add the install CD as a repository

Post by normanp »

Using Synaptic Package Manager I am unable to add the CD as a repository. The instruction in the Package Mgr dialog is to insert the CD but the CD is not then listed as a repository. Also doing this with apt fails to find any packages on the CD. Have I missed something?
I am trying to install samba to be able to share directories but have no direct internet access for this machine for an online update. Of course the samba packages may not be on the CD (which raises the question: how to download all the necessary packages / dependences and then make them available?). Strangely I seem to remember that Mint 8 or 7 had samba already installed...
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Add the install CD as a repository

Post by oobetimer »

normanp wrote:Using Synaptic Package Manager I am unable to add the CD as a repository. The instruction in the Package Mgr dialog is to insert the CD but the CD is not then listed as a repository. Also doing this with apt fails to find any packages on the CD. Have I missed something?
I am trying to install samba to be able to share directories but have no direct internet access for this machine for an online update. Of course the samba packages may not be on the CD (which raises the question: how to download all the necessary packages / dependences and then make them available?). Strangely I seem to remember that Mint 8 or 7 had samba already installed...
Thanks
It must be a DVD .. :wink:

You can add using a terminal command

sudo apt-cdrom add
normanp

Post by normanp »

Thanks oobetimer
It is a CD - but I have just read elsewhere that there is a bug in Synaptic Package Manager that prevents adding CDs.
Your method works - though I used the following:

sudo apt-cdrom add --auto-detect

It was now listed in Repositories, Other Software.
However this did not solve my problem - although the AptOnCd disk was created on a machine with samba up and running sharing a folder (and that machine had been installed from CD, so the samba install was from the http repositories), and this AptOnCD CD appears to have all the necessary packages on it, the samba install fails to install samba-common (though it does install 'samba-common bin' whatever that is) from the CD and so fails.

BTW the scenario is this:
Mint 9 machine at work - not connected to Internet - but needs samba.
Mint 9 machine at home - connected to Internet. Can install anything as needed.

I think I am ready to give up. Maybe I'll try the Mint 9 DVD version which should have samba on it.
I do find it strange that samba is not on the CD by default - this is very commonly needed by ordinary users on home networks.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Hi normanp:

Please don't give up!

I have a similar problem, except in my case it's new programs & updates from an APTonCD CD. For some reason, both Synaptic and apt refuse to use it, even though it's now the first item in my sources.list.

I'm wondering if the solution isn't to use the local repository? Is it possible to copy the .deb files into
usr/share/local-repository/ and then somehow update Synaptic to be able to access them?

Update: I've been following various instructions to create a local repository on my hard drive, but it appears one needs the binaries of the files to create the Packages.gz file that Synaptic uses. I had to jump through several hoops just to get the .debs (I only have dialup at home) so it appears I'm stuck. Unless someone has any advice?
Mint17 KDE
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Oh oobetimer, that is so cool!

However, I solved the problem on my own--just didn't get around to posting. For anyone with the same problem:

1. sudo apt-cdrom add --auto-detect
(don't know if you need to do this, but I'd tried it and got an entry for APTonCD in Synaptic, but it couldn't read the files)

2. Copy the APTonCD .iso to a pen drive

3. mount the pen drive on the non-internet computer

4. in APTonCD, choose the .iso that's on the pen drive as your source for Restore.

5. Open Synaptic, voila!
Mint17 KDE
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

I need to add Mint 9 KDE installation disk as repository (because I need to install linux-headers 2.6.32-23 to compile a NIC driver from source before I can start using the NIC).

I cannot use Mint 10, 11 or Kubuntu 11.04 for reasons too long to delve into.

In Software Manager / Software Sources, it says "To install from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert the medium into the drive." but when I do, nothing happens.

I also tried "apt-cdrom add --auto-detect", and the result is:
Identifying... [some hex codes]
Scanning disc for index files
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes...
E: Unable to locate any package files

Does this happen because the Linux Mint 9 disk has its filesystem in a squashfs file instead on directly on the disk?

Is there any way to mount Mint 9 KDE installation disk as repository?

It feels wrong that Mint does not allow adding software without internet connection.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

I need to install linux-headers 2.6.32-23 to compile a NIC driver from source
Sorry to hear you're still having the problem. I'm no expert on kernels, especially headers and the like, but I do know that most things don't have to be in a repository to install them.

Headers come in .deb packages, so you can download one (assuming you can find it--an Ubuntu package search should do it) and then double-click to install.
Mint17 KDE
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

normanp wrote:I do find it strange that samba is not on the CD by default - this is very commonly needed by ordinary users on home networks.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=310168
The other option is NFS (Network File System), which windows also supports, and which is native to UNIX/Linux, instead of a kludge (no matter how well done of a windows file protocol, smb/cifs)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block
smb, ifs - samba..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324055
windows nfs support..

And I guess another option is rdp (vnc) to connect to a windows OS to transfer files..
http://www.skullbox.net/vncserver.php
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/VNC.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”