sharing data between users

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AbeFreeman

sharing data between users

Post by AbeFreeman »

Hi All,
Using Linux Mint 9, Gnome, with User account, and a Kids account added. I've got most of my data (documents, pictures, music, etc.) stored in ntfs data partitions which I've managed to automount, thanks to a handy tutorial in these forums, giving read-access to the kids. So far, so good.

BUT, I have another problem that I can't find a solution for: those programs that store their own data somewhere else. Anki is an example, but there's also Evolution, Thunderbird, Media player playlists, etc, etc. For the Anki example, the kids have used it on the User account and created a bunch of flash-cards that the program stores in /usr/godonlyknowswhere. But if they sign on to their own account, there are no flash card decks. Take Firefox as another example: User (me) has configured it with addons like noscript and flashblock, and lots of bookmarks. But on the Kids account, it's a "naked" program. I can partially fix this by re-installing those add-ons while signed in to the Kids account, but what about the bookmarks?

So here's the question: if I want all users (or particular users) to be able to use a particular program with the same default data files, not each user having a program that acts like a data-less fresh install, how do I do that? With the Anki example, I'd like to share the files so that users can modify them, but some other ones, like Thunderbird, I would want read-only access.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: sharing data between users

Post by eiver »

The easiest way is to simply copy Firefox profile folder to the kids account. There is no way to do everything you want: Take a look at: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... r_computer

Technically you could point Thunderbird to use a profile in another users folder (and set read-only priviliges on that folder), but that is not the way things are supposed to work. Maybe just tell use what do you want to achieve and we can find another way to make things works the way you want.

Applications settings like bookmarks, e-mail settings are stored on a per user-basis - I see no reason to force bookmars or e-mail settings be forced (and read-only) for users.
Elisa

Re: sharing data between users

Post by Elisa »

I can help you just as for the Firefox (FF): the best tool to copy, backup, move etc. FF is Febe add-on :D
=> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109

First install that add-on.
Have to restart your FF.
After restart in Menu - Tools you'll see Febe where first set the destination path where to backup and option what exactly to backup or full profile.
Than perform the backup.

Next you have to start FF with option -p - it means it will start and ask for which profile to load.
Now you have probably just one profile, called Default.
When you see that prompt - chose create new profile which will be for your kids. Select the checkbox which will set let everytime you will be asked which profile to load OR ->
create 2 symlinks with an options -P "profile_name" so you will start your symlink (with your profiles), kids will start their profile (for more explanations see -> http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/profile-tutorial).

Then load your own profile (because you CANNOT restore actual profile but you want to restore from backup the new profile ~ aka ~ clone the current profile under new name).

When you started FF with your/default profile, select from Menu - Tools - Febe -> Restore profile
where now you have to select the new created profile at the FF start-up. Select it and chose restore your (formerly backuped by Febe profile).
So this way you have cloned one profile.

In the kids profile you can clean it a bit like deleting your passwords from password manager etc. so the kids' profiles would meat their needs etc. :wink:

If not sure with something, just ask 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”