usb hard drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timatao

usb hard drive

Post by timatao »

hello

i installed lmde on a hard drive and it went ok, sorta. the installer is difficult for

me.

is it possible to install lmde to a 8g usb stick and have it work like a hard drive install?

thank you

tim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: usb hard drive

Post by caf4926 »

You can dd the live image to a usb stick

But why would you want to install it to a usb stick when you have already installed to a HD?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
timatao

Post by timatao »

hello caf4926

ok, what is dd?

i want to run linux mint on a second machine.

timatao
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Open a terminal and type: man dd

It will tell you some useful info there.

For Eg; let us imagine your usb device is sdc and your linux .iso is called 'image.iso'

as su -
you would do

Code: Select all

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M;sync
This will create a bootable usb drive, like a cd really but they work much quicker.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

timatao wrote:hello

i installed lmde on a hard drive and it went ok, sorta. the installer is difficult for

me.

is it possible to install lmde to a 8g usb stick and have it work like a hard drive install?

thank you

tim
Yes.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57079
timatao

Re: usb hard drive - solved

Post by timatao »

hello

thank you caf4926 and JasonLG

it worked

timatao

Return to “Beginner Questions”