installing yahoo messenger for linux...?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riddler6002

installing yahoo messenger for linux...?

Post by riddler6002 »

i tried opening the file, following extraction, in the terminal.. there is no "configure" or "make" files in any of the folders.. or even a "read me" file for that matter.. anyone know how to do it? thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: installing yahoo messenger for linux...?

Post by vincent »

http://in.docs.yahoo.com/messenger/down ... tml#debian

The .deb file you downloaded can be installed with Gdebi, i.e. just open up your file browser and double click on it.
riddler6002

Post by riddler6002 »

thanks buddy!
riddler6002

Post by riddler6002 »

sorry man, i guess i'm doing something wrong... when i type what i was told to from the yahoo link you gave me, and after opening the extracted yahoo folder in terminal i get: dpkg: error processing ymessenger_0.99.17-1_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
ymessenger_0.99.17-1_i386.deb

confused??
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yahoo Messenger for Linux is an old old old old old package that I could never get to work either. Better to just use Pidgin. Works good.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Pidgin (as suggested above) is the most compatible with yahoo messanger. however you will still be missing plenty of functions available in Yahoo messanger. there is no cure for that because yahoo decided to stop the Linux development long time ago.

You win some but you also lose some by using Linux....
abercrombieande

Post by abercrombieande »

This is old but you can try http://www.technixupdate.com/download-y ... g-support/

1. Install libssl0.9.6 through Synaptic or type the following on the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.6
2. Download this file from messenger.yahoo.com.
3. In the terminal, write the following command

sudo dpkg -i /path/ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
replacing path with the path to where you downloaded the file.
4. Run /usr/bin/ymessenger and follow instructions to setup Yahoo! Messenger.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Or you can try an alternative yahoo client gyachi, it has webcam support. This may be easier than trying to get, what appears to be outdated, versions of yahoo messenger working.

To try it out, open a terminal and add the PPA Launchpad repository

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:loell/ppa
Then install

apt update && apt install gyachi
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

proxima_centauri wrote:Or you can try an alternative yahoo client gyachi, it has webcam support. This may be easier than trying to get, what appears to be outdated, versions of yahoo messenger working.
really? have you tried it?
and gyachi is not obsolete with it's last update 3 years ago?
proxima_centauri

mastablasta wrote:
proxima_centauri wrote:Or you can try an alternative yahoo client gyachi, it has webcam support. This may be easier than trying to get, what appears to be outdated, versions of yahoo messenger working.
really? have you tried it?
and gyachi is not obsolete with it's last update 3 years ago?
I'm guessing you're using the sourceforge site for the basis of your opinion.

No I haven't tried it, but I have seen success with users who it is suggested to.

In any case, gyachi's last update available via ppa is v1.2.9, released in or sometime before July 2010. There are also newer development builds available.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

interesting. will have to give it a try then... i have a heavy Yahoo messanger user at home... so Pidgin was fine, but maybe giyachi would give better experience...
riddler6002

Post by riddler6002 »

i dont know...gyachi wont even configure for me.. terminal keeps on telling me to read the install.txt file and i'm just like "{whatever". im so inexperienced it really starts to get on my nerves because i cannot get anything to run on linux for the life of me. can someone , in an absolutely detailed manner, explain to me how to install this gyachi? im losing my mind here.....
proxima_centauri

riddler6002 wrote:i dont know...gyachi wont even configure for me.. terminal keeps on telling me to read the install.txt file and i'm just like "{whatever". im so inexperienced it really starts to get on my nerves because i cannot get anything to run on linux for the life of me. can someone , in an absolutely detailed manner, explain to me how to install this gyachi? im losing my mind here.....
Did you try my instructions above?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 23#p328605
caprus

Post by caprus »

@ proxima_centauri

While trying to load Gyachi on Mint 10 I've just used your directions with no luck either.

# add-apt-repository ppa:loell/ppa
Appeared to complete successfully

#

apt update && apt install qyachi

(All went well for a while until these errors popped up.)

Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com julia/import i386 Packages
Fetched 89.8kB in 2s (32.9kB/s)
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/loell/ppa/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/source/Sources.gz  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/loell/ppa/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package qyachi
It looks as if the Maverick repo's have been taken down for some reason.

BTW: My wife has been using OpenSuse for a couple of years now and has been using Gyachi on it for some time now, most recently with ver. 1.2.2. (Too bad no sound though). We just switched her over to Mint 10 to resolve a couple of issues that I'd been unable to fix. So far we're very impressed. All the things I'd hoped to fix worked right away with no tinkering in Mint. Gyachi is the only thing we haven't been able to get installed.
proxima_centauri

That's correct, doesn't appear to be a repo for Maverick.

A quick google search revealed this -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592540

Another repo is hosting gyachi for maverick

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:adilson/experimental
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gyachi
caprus

Post by caprus »

Unfortunately:

# apt-get install gyachi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gyachi
proxima_centauri

Appears to work for me in my Virtual Machine, did you remove the previous PPA?
caprus

Post by caprus »

proxima_centauri wrote:Appears to work for me in my Virtual Machine, did you remove the previous PPA?
Yes, I did without any success that way, but I just found this blog post with instructions for a successful install, and Gyachi 1.2.9 is now up and running.
http://blog.sudobits.com/2010/10/24/how ... ntu-10-10/
Thanx for your time and help!

UPDATE: I was loading another PC today and couldn't find a 64bit Gyachi package, so I decided to try the ppa:adilson/experimental repo again this time it worked beautifully (v.2.9.10 64 bit). Perhaps the server was down last time or something.

Return to “Beginner Questions”