Installation Problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jabbaroon

Installation Problems

Post by Jabbaroon »

I am trying to install Linux mint 9 on a laptop where the operating system has failed. I did have Windows xp on there but that failed and since I have my important data backed up elsewhere and had no media to restore Windows I decided to take the opportunity to move to Linux. I created a boot disk of linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso but when I try to boot it the installation crashes into DOS A:/>

I used a slow burn speed for the disk (4x) and have read the articles I have found on the forum but if anyone has any further advice that would be a great help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installation Problems

Post by tdockery97 »

Did you make sure your bios is set to boot from cd/dvd? Usually you have to press a key ("esc") on my HP laptop, to interrupt boot and select to boot from cd.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Jabbaroon

Post by Jabbaroon »

Yes I did put the cd/dvd up to number 1 in the preference list in the bios
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

And you checked the MD5sum on the ISO?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1