Shredding

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
strider

Shredding

Post by strider »

A real newbie question here, but I'm stuck. I'm using shred, where am I going wrong?

Code: Select all

shred -n=10 -fuz file.ext
shred -fuz file.ext -n=10
But I get,

Code: Select all

shred: =10: invalid number of passes
And I get that for every number I try.

I can delete a file with 'shred -fuz file.ext' no problem, I just want to be able to specify how many overwrites there are.

I'd also like to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the whole Linux thing at the moment, and that I'm so grateful for Linux Mint in bridging that gap. The thanks would take up a whole lifetime if I had to go round to everyone, even if it was just for the pure satisfaction of high fiving everyone against the illegal monopoly and de-population enthusiasm.

How do I shred please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cra1g321

Re: Shredding

Post by cra1g321 »

im not sure how to fix your problem. But i shred a different way by adding it to the right-click menu. (easier than terminal)

Heres a link with instructions http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tools-to-dele ... linux.html
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Try:
shred -n 10 -fuz file.ext

Only use '=' for the long version:
--iterations=10
strider

Post by strider »

cra1g321 wrote:im not sure how to fix your problem. But i shred a different way by adding it to the right-click menu. (easier than terminal)

Heres a link with instructions http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tools-to-dele ... linux.html
This is the thing I was looking for when I first installed Mint, but for the sake of learning I'm trying to do as much as I can from the terminal. Cheers for the link though.
piratesmack wrote:Try:
shred -n 10 -fuz file.ext

Only use '=' for the long version:
--iterations=10
That worked, thanks. I understand the manual a bit better now.. Much appreciated.

Return to “Beginner Questions”