changing password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maddmomma

changing password

Post by maddmomma »

I bought this computer from my son's girlfriend and she has her password on it. I didn't really think anything about it until I tried to do some updates and found out I need her password, also I was told not to put it in hibernate mode because I didn't have her password to get back in. My problem is she forgot the password so now I can't put her password in to change it to my password.What can I do? How do I find out what her password is to change it to the password I want. I have Linus Mint 7 Gloria- Main Edition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: changing password

Post by JasonLG »

maddmomma wrote:I bought this computer from my son's girlfriend and she has her password on it. I didn't really think anything about it until I tried to do some updates and found out I need her password, also I was told not to put it in hibernate mode because I didn't have her password to get back in. My problem is she forgot the password so now I can't put her password in to change it to my password.What can I do? How do I find out what her password is to change it to the password I want. I have Linus Mint 7 Gloria- Main Edition.
If you could be told in a simple forum post how to discover an unknown password it wouldn't be a very secure system would it?

The solution is either your son's girlfriend remembers the password, in which case you can then change it to whatever you want, or you backup your data and reinstall using the password of your choice.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I believe this is possible, actually...a quick Google search supposedly confirms this.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-rese ... -password/
Note that the key combo to boot from that custom kernel entry from Grub is CTRL + X.

Another way is to just boot up a Live CD and edit the /etc/shadow file of your Linux installation. Never tried that myself, but I'm sure you can find guides about this via Google.

Either of these methods will reset root's password. You can then reset your user password, once you have root privileges, along the lines of the following:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd user
Where "user" is the name of the actual user.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

vincent wrote:I believe this is possible, actually...a quick Google search supposedly confirms this.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-rese ... -password/
Note that the key combo to boot from that custom kernel entry from Grub is CTRL + X.

Another way is to just boot up a Live CD and edit the /etc/shadow file of your Linux installation. Never tried that myself, but I'm sure you can find guides about this via Google.

Either of these methods will reset root's password. You can then reset your user password, once you have root privileges, along the lines of the following:

sudo passwd user
Where "user" is the name of the actual user.
I stand corrected :oops:
itlarson

Post by itlarson »

I haven't tried this, but it looks simple:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword

Ubuntu stuff always seems to work on mint in my experience.
frankcox

Post by frankcox »

dear Jason:

Perhaps you need to realize you are not as far removed from being a newbie as you think. Any computer you have physical access to can be accessed. If you would have had that lady rebuild her machine for nothing that would have made you look arrogant without cause. Not to mention she would lose all her data.
There are free programs to do it in Vista-7 etc like OphCrack but Linux/Unix knowing it was for all intentions impossible to protect a machine that one has physical access to wisely chose not to bother. If the only reason a person wants access is to copy the data all you need is a puppy linux disk [or any live cd and you can copy the data. of course you can change the root password as long as you have access as was noted. I think you need to tell her you are sorry.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I don't see any arrogance in Jason's post. At the time, he replied to the OP's question to the best of his ability and knowledge. Is that something he shouldn't have done, trying to help somebody out by answering one of their questions? Is this not the purpose of a "Newbie Questions" forum?
frankcox wrote:Perhaps you need to realize you are not as far removed from being a newbie as you think.
I'm sorry, but if I were to be honest, I would say that this statement came across (to me) as more arrogant than anything Jason posted in this entire thread.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

vincent wrote:I don't see any arrogance in Jason's post. At the time, he replied to the OP's question to the best of his ability and knowledge. Is that something he shouldn't have done, trying to help somebody out by answering one of their questions? Is this not the purpose of a "Newbie Questions" forum?
I do agree :wink:

Take it easy and hold your fu...ing horses, this is helpful forum, it's not like fu...ed Microsoft sh*ttin' hunter forum. Everyone knows something and Linux/Unix is about sharing knowledges.
So instead of sh*ttin' here, learn quickly and help to others (if u can) quickly as well :wink:

sudo apt-get moo
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

frankcox wrote: Perhaps you need to realize you are not as far removed from being a newbie as you think.
I never said that I wasn't a noob, in fact ask anybody that frequents this forum and they can attest to the fact that I've freely admitted that I am in several posts.
frankcox wrote: Not to mention she would lose all her data.
The most invasive of my solutions was to backup and reinstall. The OP wouldn't have lost anything but time.
frankcox wrote: I think you need to tell her you are sorry.
I didn't say anything to the OP that warrants an apology in my opinion. I am however sorry that you seem to be such a douchebag.

Return to “Beginner Questions”