One Server, X users on the same time using it,possible?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bali

One Server, X users on the same time using it,possible?

Post by Bali »

Hi,

For your information I am a French Expat living in Bali (Indonesia) and using Linux since 1999.

In Indonesia, you can buy a CD copy of any Microsoft OS/ Software on the street for 1 Euro. So you can imagine that they are not so interested about Linux here....
But the mentality start to change, slowly.

Anyway, I would like to promote Linux here, and for sure Mint (Debian version).

This is what I have in mind:

- Rent a place and put around 10 Computers (in fact not 10 computers, you will understand later)
- Give free internet access (in here ADSL is very expensive so not so much people can afford to have it at home) to anyone coming on this place
- Make install party for Indonesian / Western people, to convince them to switch to Linux.
- Give free unlimited access to kids from the village to ours computers and Internet
- Give free training on how to use Linux to anyone, young/old people, Indonesian/Western....

But, because there is a BUT.... : I don't want to buy 10 computers.
My dream is: I set up a server, like QuadCore, two 500 giga hard disk in raid 1, 8 Gigas memory..... and everybody can be connected on the same time on it.
To sum up: only one computer, and all Screens, Keyboard and Mouses are connected to the same computer: one computer for XXX user on the same time.

My question is: is it possible? And anyone have a feedback on that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Bali

PS: if there is any Linux users living in Indonesia, please take contact and let's meet!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leit

Re: One Server, X users on the same time using it,possible?

Post by Leit »

1. Way(would be my way) make a terminal server, so you access the server from a client, the client could be even a pentium 2 or so which isn't very expensive, cause all the work is done by the server
2. Way install a Xen server.. but no idea if it realy works so, or if you cant get the Xen-domains on differrent screens.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

This is not exactly what you are asking but it may point you in a useful direction.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p191158

Like Leit is suggesting, this would involve a decent/strong server and multiple thin-clients.
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi,

Thanks for your help.
I am not surprised that you didn't find me the miracle solution since I search for it since long time without success.

But I even so find an interesting product: a network LCD Screen from LG. They claim that you can with only one computer connect 11 users, and it is Linux compatible (but you must put a special PCI card also).
I think this is a crazy good idea, since you save money buy buying only one PC, you save electricity, maintenance cost... For me this is the future of offices computing, since now you can buy for affordable price Quad Core or even Hexa Core and gigas of memory.

But I will not run on this solution now. I am waiting more feedback and also that competitor launch similar products.

To be continue....
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

Hi Bali,

I'm a rank beginner myself, but I've been looking around for some time to see if I can make one computer into two just by adding in an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse. I came across something called userful multiplier that claims that you can add up to 10 virtual stations on just one computer. it is paid software and I have no idea if this will really work. I would prefer it if someone who is more knowledgeable about this to answer. I have also come across a number of sites that claim that this is very easy in linux because it is based on unix which supports multi users. I'm just joining this thread because I too would like to know the answer to your question although my need now is only for one more.
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi Inkit,

Thanks for this information, I never heard about that. Sounds good. But I would like to go more in an hardware solution rather than a software solution (for me could be more buggy) that will install something on my Mint.

Let's be patient. LG started the dance, and i am sure others will follow. It is very fashion and almost an obligation now to go green. So with a system like this you can save 80% of electricity and when your pc is dead you just put one in garbage, not 5, 7,10....

Let's wait. But hurry up guys, I need a such system soon ! :)

Cheers

Bali

Inkit wrote:Hi Bali,

I'm a rank beginner myself, but I've been looking around for some time to see if I can make one computer into two just by adding in an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse. I came across something called userful multiplier that claims that you can add up to 10 virtual stations on just one computer. it is paid software and I have no idea if this will really work. I would prefer it if someone who is more knowledgeable about this to answer. I have also come across a number of sites that claim that this is very easy in linux because it is based on unix which supports multi users. I'm just joining this thread because I too would like to know the answer to your question although my need now is only for one more.

Return to “Beginner Questions”