Software Manager Disappearing...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IMAyNeed

Software Manager Disappearing...

Post by IMAyNeed »

While I am checking and installing the packages on software manager it is disappearing sometimes. What could the reason be?
Is there any command I can use to install the packages by their name in software manager?

I am using a university wi-fi and someone can be doing it from the university (Network Administrator etc.., Can they do that?) too unless this is a problem on Linux.
Is there any firewall I can use and configure to manage any in and out connections for every application?
I have firewall configuration in Control Center but I do not know how to configure it for every application? (Like Windows Comodo Firewall for example)
Will it be able to ask me when an application wants to have an incoming or outgoing connection or it works in a different way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Software Manager Disappearing...

Post by dawgdoc »

IMAyNeed wrote:Is there any command I can use to install the packages by their name in software manager?
I do not think there is in Software Manager, but you can select applications in Package Manager (Synaptic) and install them from there. I do not use Software Manager so I do not know how to change the fact that it is disappearing. OR you could install the application from the terminal if you know the package name. (The application name is not always identical to the package name. You would use a command like this, replacing <package-name> with something like gimp or warzone2100

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install <package-name>
IMAyNeed wrote:I am using a university wi-fi and someone can be doing it from the university (Network Administrator etc.., Can they do that?) too unless this is a problem on Linux.
Is there any firewall I can use and configure to manage any in and out connections for every application?
I have firewall configuration in Control Center but I do not know how to configure it for every application? (Like Windows Comodo Firewall for example)
Yes, I am sure they could limit your bandwidth. I do not know if they do.
Iptables is the actual firewall. There are various GUI frontends to use with it. You probably used GUFW if you went with the default in the menu. I have not used it, but Firestarter would give you much finer grain control.

Or you could use Trickle to control bandwidth consumed on an application by application basis. Again, I have not used it. Both it and Firestarter are available through the LMDE's Package Manager, so I imagine they are in LM9/Isadora.
IMAyNeed

Post by IMAyNeed »

dawgdoc wrote: Yes, I am sure they could limit your bandwidth. I do not know if they do.

Iptables is the actual firewall. There are various GUI frontends to use with it. You probably used GUFW if you went with the default in the menu. I have not used it, but Firestarter would give you much finer grain control.
dawgdoc wrote:

Thanks for the code. I used the command before, but I wanted to be sure about it.

Yes, I know they can limit my bandwidth, block my IP/Machine Address. What am I saying is that can they close the Software Manager application from the server/main machine?

Or you could use Trickle to control bandwidth consumed on an application by application basis. Again, I have not used it. Both it and Firestarter are available through the LMDE's Package Manager, so I imagine they are in LM9/Isadora.
Thanks for the Trickle info. That is a good thing to know. It is something that I need when I am in the university (Unfortunately always).

I know about the Firewall Configuration and Firestarter and I have them installed. They are not bad I believe. Just as a new Linux user, I am used to Comodo's "This application wants to connect to internet/receive a connection from this IP notifications and Allow/Allow always/Block/Block Always options so it will take some time for me to configure the firewall correctly. It is allright though.

Would there be any reason for the Software Manager to close itself automatically?

Thanks again and have a nice day.

P.S.: Sorry about the quote mess, I hope it is readable.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

the university should not be able to close Software Manager. Not unless you have given them some kind of remote desktop access, ssh is a secure shell that allows remote access. I do not know if it would close automatically if they choked off your access.

Try using Package Manager or the command line for a while and see if they get choked out by comparably sized downloads. It could be your school limiting bandwidth in general or out of some fear of peer to peer lawsuits without actually checking what they are blocking.

Return to “Beginner Questions”