Sound from Headphone Jack-but not speakers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roguered

Sound from Headphone Jack-but not speakers

Post by roguered »

I'm running Mint Gloria on an HP Pavilion dv2 12.1 inch laptop.

My Speakers have never worked for me. Headphones work occasionally, but also give static. (Headphones and speakers both work fine in Windows).

I set the Sound Preferences to ASLA and ran sound tests.
One time I ran it it said it was playing a sound, but I heard nothing. (checked all volume settings. None were set to "mute" all were on full)

Once I got: audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback.

No idea what this means or how to fix it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roguered

Re: Sound from Headphone Jack-but not speakers

Post by roguered »

Also, my device was recognized.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Return to “Beginner Questions”