installation problem linux mint dbe

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cygnis1

installation problem linux mint dbe

Post by Cygnis1 »

I am trying to install Linux Mint DBE, and have a question about partitioning. When I get to the partitioning screen, it won't let me continue without creating a / root partition. It shows /dev 1, and /dev2 and a swap partition. /dev1 is the largest partition, and I assumed it would be /root. what do I need to do? How big is the /root partition?
Thanks,
Cygnis1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: installation problem linux mint dbe

Post by Silent Warrior »

I'm not familiar with that edition, but how come you don't know yourself how your partitions are laid out? Well, anyway, the best way to find out is to simply boot into your normal OS/distribution and use a graphical utility like kdf (Baobab in Gnome?) - kdf tells you both size, space used/remaining, filesystem, partition name and mount-point. (Hope you're into KDE!) Write down the partition names/numbers and their associated mount-points (... just memorize the filesystem), boot with the LiveCD, duplicate this setup in the installer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”