Using Internet Explorer on Mint 9 KDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Using Internet Explorer on Mint 9 KDE

Post by craig10x »

Here is (i hope) an interesting question...Personally, i use google chromium on my Linux Mint 9 and Kubuntu 10.10 and have been very happy with it, but i have a friend who is on windows xp all these years and he is considering installing Mint 9 Kde or Kubuntu and leaving windows because he loves the kde look and applications and likes all the advantages of linux over windows..

But here is the thing, he also absolutely loves the way the fonts render in Internet Explorer (which are very difficult if not impossible to EXACTLY DUPLICATE in any browser your normally run on linux...and he would like to bring it over with him...

I know you can run Internet Explorer browser through the wine type programs like wine, wine doors, playonlinux,
but my question is this:
Would browsing with Internet Explorer on a linux system through wine compromise it's security?
Or would it be as safe as using, say Google Chromium, Firefox, etc...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheesethief

Re: Using Internet Explorer on Mint 9 KDE

Post by Cheesethief »

craig10x wrote:Here is (i hope) an interesting question...Personally, i use google chromium on my Linux Mint 9 and Kubuntu 10.10 and have been very happy with it, but i have a friend who is on windows xp all these years and he is considering installing Mint 9 Kde or Kubuntu and leaving windows because he loves the kde look and applications and likes all the advantages of linux over windows..

But here is the thing, he also absolutely loves the way the fonts render in Internet Explorer (which are very difficult if not impossible to EXACTLY DUPLICATE in any browser your normally run on linux...and he would like to bring it over with him...

I know you can run Internet Explorer browser through the wine type programs like wine, wine doors, playonlinux,
but my question is this:
Would browsing with Internet Explorer on a linux system through wine compromise it's security?
Or would it be as safe as using, say Google Chromium, Firefox, etc...
Since you are using Wine, it will be suceptible to probably all of the same flaws as IE on a windows machine. Do know that since Wine behaves like windows, it is suceptible to the same viruses as windows. This is what I have read, but take this with a grain of salt since I am no expert here.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

A windows virus (one without any linux support) will probably not do much harm. If it infects a file in for example C:\windows it will remain in this Wine fake windows folder and without root priviliges. Probably only other Wine apps might be affected, but the rest of the system will be ok.
vincent

Post by vincent »

If a virus is installed through Wine, it can have an impact on anywhere where you, the user, have write privileges. This isn't just limited to /home/$USER/.wine, this also includes your actual Home folder, which is made accessible to programs run in Wine due to symlinks setup in your .wine folder. It can also impact any external drives you have connected, USB drives, or the like.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Wasn't there some ies4linux-project or something?
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

Seems like you could use a IE page rendering plug-in, such as https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6455/
newfie

Post by newfie »

If they're trying to use IE on a KDE Linux OS, they don't want to abandon Windows.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

craig10x wrote:But here is the thing, he also absolutely loves the way the fonts render in Internet Explorer (which are very difficult if not impossible to EXACTLY DUPLICATE in any browser your normally run on linux...and he would like to bring it over with him...
So, he doesn't really want Linux (apart from the eye candy of Kde) or he would use a Linux based browser
--such as Firefox etc, rather than Internet Explorer, as many windows users have already done..

As to the virus via wine: possible, but not likely
--although browser viruses are possible
craig10x wrote:.... but i have a friend who is on windows xp all these years and he is considering installing Mint 9 Kde or Kubuntu and leaving windows because he loves the kde look and applications and likes all the advantages of linux over windows..
..is considering installing Mint 9 Kde or Kubuntu and leaving windows..
And again, he was only considering it
--when he is sure that he wants to try Linux, we'll see then..
colyn

Post by colyn »

Tell your friend he can find a shrink in the yellow pages...anybody who uses Internet Exploder needs one...
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

colyn wrote:Tell your friend he can find a shrink in the yellow pages...anybody who uses Internet Exploder needs one...
Too Funny :mrgreen:

I'm trying to talk him out of it...i seem to have gotten a mixed input as to whether it could be potentially dangerous or not...
I've been using Kubuntu 10.10 which has the new ubuntu fonts installed (by default on all the system stuff and applications)...
It also appears in your firefox and Chrome browser font selections as well...although on Chrome, switching to them doesn't seem
to do anything unless you add the Google Chrome ubuntu fonts extension..which then forces it on with a uniform, all ubuntu fonts
look...i was just surfing with it today...it DOES give it that Internet Explorer "uniform type face" look although of course the fonts themselves
are a bit different...maybe he would be satisfied with that instead...

Has anyone who tried ubuntu 10.10 or kubuntu 10.10 tried that extension in Chrome? I'd be curious as to your reaction...and if not, perhaps some
will try it and let me know what they think...you can always disable the extension or remove it if you don't like the "look"

And of course, it will be available to you on Mint 10 gnome and kde.... :wink:
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

craig10x wrote:
colyn wrote:Tell your friend he can find a shrink in the yellow pages...anybody who uses Internet Exploder needs one...
Too Funny :mrgreen:

I'm trying to talk him out of it...i seem to have gotten a mixed input as to whether it could be potentially dangerous or not...
I've been using Kubuntu 10.10 which has the new ubuntu fonts installed (by default on all the system stuff and applications)...
It also appears in your firefox and Chrome browser font selections as well...although on Chrome, switching to them doesn't seem
to do anything unless you add the Google Chrome ubuntu fonts extension..which then forces it on with a uniform, all ubuntu fonts
look...i was just surfing with it today...it DOES give it that Internet Explorer "uniform type face" look although of course the fonts themselves
are a bit different...maybe he would be satisfied with that instead...

Has anyone who tried ubuntu 10.10 or kubuntu 10.10 tried that extension in Chrome? I'd be curious as to your reaction...and if not, perhaps some
will try it and let me know what they think...you can always disable the extension or remove it if you don't like the "look"

And of course, it will be available to you on Mint 10 gnome and kde.... :wink:
Why Don't You Do It :?: ,colyn is right Anyone who uses internet explorer is :? :lol: should not be funny but :( Since most of the user here use Mint with Firefox or Chorme(idum) Mostly we don't care about IE-If You or your Friend :?: want to use IE Maybe Just stick to Windows :idea:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Actually, he very much likes linux and finds kde very appealing and is ready to switch...it's just that he has spent many years using Internet Explorer on windows and really likes the way the fonts display in it...unfortunately, there is no work around for that using firefox or chromium...there is no way you are going to get the font to look the same as they do in internet explorer...

So, i am just trying to get him as close as possible to that...so it will ease the change over to the new system...
By the way, he very much likes chromium, but it's the font issue he is a bit shaky about...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I do agree with Colyn 8)

4 your friend: when he leaves windows, he will change his thinking, leaves old silly customs, changing even his life view...
...he has to grow up from a child to an adult man... :wink:
Last edited by Elisa on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

what fonts are you talking about?

menu fonts can be the same if you would so wish. while fonts in pages are loaded from pages themselves. and are often the same no matter what browser you use.

IE6 can be run in wine i believe.

as ohers pointed out there is no use of having IE in linux (unless you design websites, but then it's probably better to have dual boot set up or virtual maschine).

anyone bothered with fonts in windows programme is not really ready for any linux trial.

i mean if you like it use it, find alternative solutions... if not leave it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

While you can set a browser like firefox or chrome to what is basically similar or or the same as internet explorer uses, it must have something in it that makes it display in a kind of unique way that it seems you can't duplicate in the other browsers...i don't know why that is (technically) but it seems to be the case...Just go somewhere that uses Windows and Internet Explorer and do some surfing to your favorite web pages and you will see what i mean...It's that "look" that he is so accustomed to and likes so much...

Oh well, i guess he will either have to adopt or not go the linux route...I don't feel (based on the feedback i have gotten) that it would be a very secure thing to do...

Return to “Beginner Questions”