Would Linux Mint work on my PC?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tomjerry

Would Linux Mint work on my PC?

Post by Tomjerry »

Hi everyone,

I have an IBM Aptiva machine, Pentium III, 512 mb Ram. It already runs Windows XP. I would like to know if Linux Mint would run on my machine? Also when Linux Mint 10 final is expected to be released. Kindly inform. Regards :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LarryP

Re: Would Linux Mint work on my PC?

Post by LarryP »

mint should run fine on yours. you may also want to try the lxde andxfce versions as well as isadora the main one. although isadora runs nicely with that amount of ram, many minters with similar rigs find the lighter desktops run much faster . Good luck.
jesica

Post by jesica »

yes it will

you can also try out Mint LXDE
Tomjerry

Post by Tomjerry »

Sorry for the late reply from my part. I wish a little more info on the LXDE and XFCE versions of Linux Mint:

1- Are LXDE or XFCE web based only operating systems which need an always on internet connection, with no support for installing and using the normal Linux Mint softwares offline. If they are not web based only OSes and traditional ones, would I be able to install and use all Linux Mint softwares on them?

2- Which is more stable, mature and problem/bug free? LXDE or XFCE?

:)
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

1. XFCE/LXDE are just different "desktop environments" than Gnome (that you find in the "main" edition). The default selection of apps will differ slightly but you can install any application you want in your chosen desktop environment. You don't need an internet connection other than to download any apps you wish to install. However, the XFCE/LXDE editions are typically not released until a few months after the Gnome edition and Gnome is the only edition that can use the mintmenu (others use their own default menu systems).

2. XFCE has been around for longer but stability isn't really an issue. At the end of the day it will come down to personal preference, try both and see which you prefer.
Tomjerry

Post by Tomjerry »

Thanks. I would try both the flavors and select the one I like. :)
jesica

Post by jesica »

you can also try Fluxbox

Return to “Beginner Questions”