Disable samba service [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwirk

Disable samba service [SOLVED]

Post by kwirk »

How do I disable smbd service?

I tried disabling 'Personal File Sharing' from 'Startup Applications' from the 'Control Panel', but after reboot, the service is still listening on ipv6 ports 139/445.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Disable samba service

Post by altair4 »

'Personal File Sharing' is not samba. It's a baby apache file server that uses avahi to broadcasts it's one available share.

This will stop the samba service if it's running:

Code: Select all

sudo service smbd stop
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kwirk

Post by kwirk »

altair4 wrote:'Personal File Sharing' is not samba. It's a baby apache file server that uses avahi to broadcasts it's one available share.

This will stop the samba service if it's running:

Code: Select all

sudo service smbd stop

Thanks. How do I go about disabling the service so it wont restart on reboot?
chronics

Post by chronics »

Remove its execute permission in /etc/init.d
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I should have realized that was your intended goal from your post. Sorry about that.
I was going to suggest commenting out the "start on" line in /etc/init/smbd.conf but removing the execute bit is brilliant.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kwirk

Post by kwirk »

altair4 wrote:
I should have realized that was your intended goal from your post. Sorry about that.
I was going to suggest commenting out the "start on" line in /etc/init/smbd.conf but removing the execute bit is brilliant.

I decided to comment out the "start on" line in '/etc/init/smbd.conf' which worked a treat. I may want to start samba service on a adhoc basis, so I feel removing the execute bit would be more hassle in the long run.

Thanks for all the help. Cheers!

Return to “Beginner Questions”