Helllp!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mick_swagger

Helllp!!!

Post by mick_swagger »

I Went to enable 3d effects in visualisation. And it said i needed to update my video driver, so i clicked okay, and when I restarted, my resolution looks really terrible, and everythign is very laggy and the screen is all messed up. i ave no idea how to go back to the original driver that was there when i installed mint. I don't care about 3d effects i just need my OS to work again, i don't want to reinstall it, I know that sounds noobish that I might reinstall it.. but I'm screwed. This sucks. can anybody give me some help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick_swagger

Re: Helllp!!!

Post by mick_swagger »

bump
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Can you give us some information about your system? start with the output from this terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
and follow up with this
It will make things easier for all that wants to help in the forum if you followed a few simple rules before posting
First off - please try to make sure it is not a hardware problem
A Search for a solution, both in the forum and on the internet - Google is your friend
B If the problem is in a particular program it may have it's own home page with support
C Include the version (Gloria or Mint 7 and so on) and edition (main, KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox ...)
D If you get error message(s) please include the correct and complete error message
E Almost all problems have a hardware component - run lspci in a terminal and include. If it is a USB device also include lsusb
F If the problem is about a particular "device", like a sound card or a wifi card, found in lspci run lspci -vvnn and post the section for that device (that section only please - it's a very long list)
G If the problem is about wifi tell us if you use ndiswrapper - Windows Wireless Drivers
H Tell us if you use mint4win
J Please use punctuation and line breaks when you write - this makes it much easier to read
If you follow these simple guidelines you avoid that the first response is a request for more facts
Here is a list of some commands and actions that may be unfamiliar to a newcomer in Linux

found HERE the same link is in the red box above.
mick_swagger

Post by mick_swagger »

Output =

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card nVidia G84 [GeForce 8700M GT] X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1920x1200@52.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8700M GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.22 Direct Rendering Yes
i use isodora
It was fine until i updated the nvidia driver
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I would suggest going to
> Menu > Administration > Hardware Driver
deactivate your current driver and reactivate the highest numbered one available. If this does not do it, the next step may be purging all nvidia proprietary drivers and then reinstalling the most current one.

I have on older nvidia card than yours in my laptop and I recall the 195.xxx.xx driver being available to me.

Is this tool how you previously updated your driver?
mick_swagger

Post by mick_swagger »

dawgdoc wrote:I would suggest going to
> Menu > Administration > Hardware Driver
deactivate your current driver and reactivate the highest numbered one available. If this does not do it, the next step may be purging all nvidia proprietary drivers and then reinstalling the most current one.

I have on older nvidia card than yours in my laptop and I recall the 195.xxx.xx driver being available to me.

Is this tool how you previously updated your driver?
Nope. but i got it working now. thanks for helping me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”