Mint9 Partitioner Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ricky haines

Mint9 Partitioner Problem

Post by ricky haines »

Hi
I'm a Mint5 user trying to install Mint9. Can only run live dvd in 'compatibility mode' and installer stops at step 4.
The guided option to partition the drive is not shown. The installer presents me with a manual partitioner window instead, this window is not 'active' ie it cannot be edited. The ISO checks out ok and I have used the 'disc integrity check' on the burnt dvd. I have the same results using A Linux format cover disc. I have deleted the partitions on the hdd (using gparted on the install disc) without any change in results. I then reinstalled mint5 with no problems. Please advise me of next action.
thanks ricky

Problem solved - HDD previously used in raid array..... thanks for the help guys!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Mint9 Partitioner Problem

Post by StanTheMan »

The Mint 9 installer is a copy of Ubuntu 10.04 installer.
At the partitioning step , there are three choices - -

Side by side install , for multi-booting , or changing partition layout.
Erase and install on whole drive.
Manual install.

If you have GPartEd , I would suggest create new formatted partitiion with it , then the installer will see them and list them when you come to the " Manual install "

I presume you are not multi-boting. In which case you could use all Primary partiutions.
Typically 10 GB formatted ext4 for system " / " , 2 GB for Swap , and the rest formatted ext4 to mount on " /home " .
oobetimer

Re: Mint9 Partitioner Problem

Post by oobetimer »

ricky haines wrote:Hi
I'm a Mint5 user trying to install Mint9. Can only run live dvd in 'compatibility mode' and installer stops at step 4.
The guided option to partition the drive is not shown. The installer presents me with a manual partitioner window instead, this window is not 'active' ie it cannot be edited. The ISO checks out ok and I have used the 'disc integrity check' on the burnt dvd. I have the same results using A Linux format cover disc. I have deleted the partitions on the hdd (using gparted on the install disc) without any change in results. I then reinstalled mint5 with no problems. Please advise me of next action.
thanks ricky
A keyword is dmraid

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... id#p315075

Return to “Beginner Questions”