Bypassing Grub

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Bypassing Grub

Postby kcirick on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi,

I've been using Mint for a little while now, and I have a question regarding Grub.

Linux Mint is the only OS I run on my computer and I don't plan to ever have my computer double boot. Is it possible to bypass Grub part and just boot Linux Mint right away? It would take at least a could of seconds off of my boot time.

If it can be done, how would I go about it?

Thanks!
-Rick
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:18 pm

What happens when you change the timeout to 1 or 0?
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Michael H on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:15 am

merlwiz is right - your best bet is to just drop the timeout duration to 1. (I'm not sure what happens if you set it to 0, or a decimal like .5, but it might be worth a try.)

Code: Select all
sudo gedit /boot/grub menu.lst

Then just change the number to 1, save your changes, and you should have knocked your boot time down a hair. :)
Michael H
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kcirick on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Setting standby time to 1sec is a good and easy thing, but it still loads up grub... Since Mint is the only thing it runs, is it possible to NOT use grub or lilo, and just boot up linux?

Is there a way to just write on MBR partition table to boot up linux instead of starting up grub/lilo?
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby D-EJ915 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:15 am

GRUB is the actual thing which loads the operating system, you can't just get rid of it.

Do as was suggested and edit the timeout down to something like 3 seconds. Don't put it to something too short in case you need to go into single user mode.
D-EJ915
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions