LinuxMint file system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dazw2000

LinuxMint file system

Post by dazw2000 »

Firstly I would like to say a big hello to everyone, and just say I really like LinuxMint and the new version Julia (quality).
My question it may sound silly but converting after many years of Microsoft Windows to Linux has me confused.
1 Installation of packages other than from the software center, and the file extensions. Like Tar.bz2, rpm,run,.deb I am ok with this one. Once extracted what is the file placement structure within the Linux /Hierarchy.
2, As never being really interested in programming what application would i use to compile or makefile and how does it work.

Having about a million questions to ask and feeling like i cannot help anyone else out until i learn a great deal more.

Thank you most kindly in advance for any replies :D

Darren
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LinuxMint file system

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi Darren and welcome. As far as tar.bz2 you'll find some info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342511. You can install .deb files using gdebi installer or dpkg as these are native Debian packages and usually come complete with required dependencies. RPM files you would have to convert to .deb if possible; they are native to many of the non-debian based distros. I don't know about run, haven't come across anything like that.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

dazw2000 wrote: 1 Installation of packages other than from the software center, and the file extensions. Like Tar.bz2, rpm,run,.deb I am ok with this one. Once extracted what is the file placement structure within the Linux /Hierarchy.
2, As never being really interested in programming what application would i use to compile or makefile and how does it work.
Hello new Mint bro :lol:
=> 2 your questions (and as far as I know :lol: ): most serious packages has instructions how to compile...
As for files, *.deb are the best or easiest to run - just click on them :) AFAIK rpm is possible to run also but u need any rpm~converter or something. rpm is mostly for Redhat and Fedora.
Other bz2, 7z are archives, again - see the instructions inside.
But I am sure you can find most usable packages in the repositary (Synaptic package manager) :wink:
dazw2000

Post by dazw2000 »

Thank you for your replies, most helpful.
Not sure how to reply directly as yet.
Oh the run file extension i came across i think was either on the AMD ATI site or the Oracle Java site.Unsure of which as i surf to much.
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,
1 Installation of packages other than from the software center, and the file extensions. Like Tar.bz2, rpm,run,.deb I am ok with this one. Once extracted what is the file placement structure within the Linux /Hierarchy.
for tar.bz2, tar.gz, .run it's very hard to say because it depends on the developer.
A simple guideline:
/etc = configuration
/bin = program

It definitely not like Windows :D
to compile, it would be gcc (most probably)
So, how it works:

Code: Select all

./configure
This just checks OS settings, whether you have the correct pre-requisite or not

make
Actual compilation, text files -> binary

make install
install the binary at predetermined location
colyn

Post by colyn »

Welcome...

Never download a .tar.gz/bz2 file from an untrusted site. Only download them from the developers site. The only time you would need to get one of these is if the program is not in the repo. Always check the repo for the program before downloading from another site.

.tar file have to be compiled before install which can be time consuming and confusing.

.rpm's can be installed after converting them to a .deb file with alien. Google alien to learn how it works..

.deb is native to Mint and is easy to install simply by clicking it.

The repo has somewhere around 30,000 packages so it should have everything you would need. Open synaptic and type what you are looking for (such as gimp) in the search box then check it for install then apply. It will also install any dependencies needed..
jesica

Post by jesica »

I like Python for compiling and writing in it, it is very fast

Return to “Beginner Questions”