dependences

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

dependences

Postby wildnkrazy on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm

I used Ubuntu for a while but their was software I did not use so to save disk space I wanted to remove them and I could not do this because of the dependences so I went and tried Mint.
And Mint came with ndiswrapper and I could remove the stuff without the dependences unlike in Ubuntu. Isent their a command wheir Ubuntu can do the same thing as Mint can do?
That I can remove the software I dont use like in Mint. I like Ubuntu Mint is really no different but in Mint I can remove software I dont need or use without it say something about dependences.
I know their is a command that I can do I just don't remember.
Can anyone help me out?
wildnkrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Helmut on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:26 am

Sorry, I really don't know or understand what you want. If you just want to save disc space - well disc space is quite inexpensive these days and a new hd will most certainly be very much quicker better and larger than an any old maybe 5GB drive.

If you just want a very sleek, ballast free, very quick bread-and-butter system, you might want to try Yoper, Damn small Linux, Puppy Linux, or something similar.

Helmut
Helmut
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:00 am

No, I think he's referring to Ubuntu's meta-packages... for instance if you remove evolution you'll also have to remove ubuntu-desktop and so on. It's not really a problem since ubuntu-desktop in itself is only a meta-package (a way for Ubuntu to include more things in the default selection after upgrades for instance..) and you can safely remove it in Ubuntu.

In Mint we've already removed these meta-packages so you don't get the dependency warning...

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby wildnkrazy on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:11 am

clem wrote:No, I think he's referring to Ubuntu's meta-packages... for instance if you remove evolution you'll also have to remove ubuntu-desktop and so on. It's not really a problem since ubuntu-desktop in itself is only a meta-package (a way for Ubuntu to include more things in the default selection after upgrades for instance..) and you can safely remove it in Ubuntu.

In Mint we've already removed these meta-packages so you don't get the dependency warning...

Clem

:P yessssss finely thank you Clem isent their a command you can do? Thank you for your input and I can safely remove the meta-packages I just was not sure.
wildnkrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wildnkrazy on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:54 pm

So Ubuntu standard is a meta-package?
wildnkrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wildnkrazy on Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:11 pm

Is Ubuntu standard a meta-package?
wildnkrazy
Level 1