How to install Wicd in Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
portable3

How to install Wicd in Linux Mint?

Post by portable3 »

Hi. I just downloaded and put Linux Mint on a bootable DVD. I can install my RTL8191su network adapter on it. But I have to use commands in order to see networks to connect to. I need a simple interface. So I found Wicd.

Problem is I don't know how to install Wicd on Linux Mint. Can someone help me? Btw I'm not connected to the internet when doing this. I have downloaded Wicd, and I read somewhere Wicd is included Linux Mint. I just don't know how to freakin install it. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: How to install Wicd in Linux Mint?

Post by Elisa »

portable3 wrote:...
Problem is I don't know how to install Wicd on Linux Mint. Can someone help me? Btw I'm not connected to the internet when doing this. I have downloaded Wicd, and I read somewhere Wicd is included Linux Mint. I just don't know how to freakin install it. Thank you.
I don't have wireless but in general - when whatever seek 4 just use Synaptic package manager, type in the search box e.g. wicd
then u'll see the list of apps.
Click on them and from context menu choose 'mark for installation'.
Then slap the top menu green check - aka Apply and the app is installed :wink:

BTW if you downloaded outside of Mint what extension does have your package?
If .deb so just click on it and the installation starts.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

An extra advantage to using Synaptic Package Manager in this case is that Network Manager will be removed completely during the installation of WICD. This is necessary for WICD to work properly and may be somewhat difficult to do manually.

Also, it is generally better to use Package Manager (or Software Manager) to install applications because apps installed in this way are included in Update Manager an all updates are available for installation without needing to search the net.
portable3

Post by portable3 »

Alright. I'm back after trying it. I went to the software package thing and I searched for "wicd". There was a package for it and pressed the green button to "install" it. I think it installed? Now, I'm not sure how to actually run the network manager.

I'm also having another issue. I have a Realtek rtl8191su and I've downloaded several linux drivers for it. About 2 days ago I've managed to get it installed and working... the default network manager even brought up some wireless networks to connect to. But I tried it again today and I do this:

cd to the driver /directory/. type in 'make'. it installs correctly, and then i type in 'make install'.

then I type in "ifconfig wlan0 up" and i get this error: "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource Temporarily Unavailable"

I did some googling and found I have to turn off some Plug n Play option in my BIOS. But I could not find this option in my BIOS. Are there some alternative solutions? Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”