Firefox Updates and trojan notifications

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turbines

Firefox Updates and trojan notifications

Post by turbines »

I am using the latest Mint Debian from a Live DVD. When ever I start Firefox it telling me in a popup that I need 40 some updates. Also when I use Google to search and then click on a link I often get a popup stating that I have been infected and need to download certain apps to remove the trojan. I thought that by using a Live DVD I would be getting away from all of that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Firefox Updates and trojan notifications

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The infection warnings are most likely originating on the web site you are visiting at the time they occur. It is very unlikely, if you downloaded the ISO file from an approved Linux Mint mirror that the ISO would be so corrupted.

There are many ambush sites out there that scare you with a pop-up and try to convince you to buy their anti-malware program immediately to eliminate the infection when the only infection is the one they placed in the first place. These sites use Javascript and other cross platform methods to attack your browser, no matter what OS you are using. Running from a live CD is no protection since the site attacks the browser itself. You could try adding Noscript to Firefox from the available Firefox addons.

At least when you use Linux, these sites can't plant a trojan in your OS to lock up your system until you buy their product. A friend of mine who still uses Windows had exactly that happen to him. The only solution was to reinstall Windows.

The Firefox popup is probably from mozilla. Remember that LMDE is built on Debian Testing (Sid) and as such will accumulate a lot of updates while sitting in the Mirror memory waiting for you (or anyone) to download it and install it. If and When you finally install LMDE, the first time you run the Update Manager you will most likely find over 250 (maybe over 300) updates to the system, so 40 or so updates to Firefox is not out of line. Especially now when Firefox 3.6 seems to be getting updated every day or so.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

:D
And I'm earning an average of $80-$100 Cdn to remove these pesky Internet pop-up installer viri from many of my Windows clients.
Our Aging member is correct that Browser updates plug the holes for Internet browsing, especially in that other OS.
As of this date, they do NOT, and can NOT infect a Mint (or any Linux) system. (unless you do something really stoopid, and run an (any) Internet app as root !)
Just check to make sure you have run/activated the Firewall Configuration program that is included with Mint. :mrgreen:

My Mint clients are all just sittin' back, smilin' ! Who needs anti-virus . . . so passe ! :mrgreen:
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Gotta love Linux powered systems . I do know there are a very select few viruses that can infect this OS BUT you would have to allow them onto your systemas root!

Return to “Beginner Questions”