Support for older hardware and computer illiterates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0ddity

Support for older hardware and computer illiterates

Post by 0ddity »

K, kinda funny back story. A friend of the family was at the house today, and I overheard her complaining about her tax software. She was saying "it's a scam, they want me to buy a new computer to make this program work, but I just bought this computer!" So after her conversation, I walked over to her and asked "how old is your computer, if the tax software doesn't run on it?" She replies "oh, I bought it in 98 or 99." I expressed my disbelief that she expected a decade old computer, running Windows 98, to run software made for new computers and modern OS's. She still seemed to think it was a scam, that it should work just fine, because she "paid a lot for the computer." So I told her that the real scam was Windows, and paying for tax software that you could get an equivalent for free, and explained about Linux and open source software. So my question is, if I were to install Mint on her computer, would there be any problems with hardware compatibility? The computer is probably a P3, with an onboard ATI Rage or Intel video. If I installed Mint XFCE or fluxbox (assuming she has at least 256 MB of ram) would it have performance equivalent to Win 98, with all graphical effects turned off? If not, is there another distro similar to Ubuntu or Mint (ie with a graphical package manager) that would work better on old hardware? Or should I just tell her to byte the bullet and get a new computer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: Support for older hardware and computer illiterates

Post by Elisa »

IMHO Mint 9 is ok, good choice, just try the xfce or fluxbox. I am sure she will get more than she'd get by installing win 98 :lol:
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Just out of curiosity did this lady bring that dinosaur from a museum?LOL But really I think Mint 9 KDE should fly on that compared to '98 (or BSOD part 2) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

You are probably in the US, but we have had some moderate success :)

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=7692

This Gov't tax program, officially only runs under M$,
but it has also worked under parallels for the Mac.

I still kinda like W98, have a soft spot for it ....
you could also try anti-X from Mepis, - that O/S is designed for those older PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

I'm in Canada, so I don't think that would work.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Lol sounds like my first pc 500 mhz amd k6 with 196 mhz ram. mint 9 with xfce should run at least as fast if she has 256 in ram lxde should run nicely too it uses maybe 10 to 20 megs more in ram. Personal choice here but i would go for lxde for myself I like the gui better :lol:
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

You can go to the community website where there is a list of different types of hardware and motherboards that Mint is running on. I have Mint 8 running on a Dell C600 laptop. Runs pretty good. A slight issue getting the resolution correct, but fixable with a short google search.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “Beginner Questions”