dial up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
berniecoles

dial up

Post by berniecoles »

i have just downloaded & installed mint 9 Xfce,when i tried to connect with a dial up connection using GNOME ppp
all i get is could not open port
could sombody out there please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
capt

Re: dial up

Post by capt »

1. Do you have a Linux compatible modem? If not it won't work.
2. You will need to select the location (port) in the Gnome-ppp setup utility. It does have a test / search feature that will help
find it.
3. In User and Groups, the box must be checked to allow user to connect to internet with modem.
4. Open the terminal and type, sudo gnome-ppp then hit enter. When it opens fill in all information, then hit connect and you
should be connected open browser and see. Close browser first then close terminal and I would reboot. This step is the only
way I have been able to get it to work. Now when you open Gnome-ppp you will need to fill in the information again the first
time and it should be good.

capt 8)

Return to “Beginner Questions”