Resizing "/" partition and creating data partiton?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haiku

Resizing "/" partition and creating data partiton?

Post by haiku »

Hi Guys!

I currently have a single partition for my Mint 10RC setup on a 300g hard drive (well, plus the swap partition):
sda1 /ext4, mounted on / (290G)
sda2/ extended
sda5/ swap (6GiB)

I'd like to "shrink" the main partition, and create a partition to store data - the ultimate goal is being able to keep said data when installing another distro

So - I guess I'll use Gparted from the live CD

My questions:
I will be able to resize the sda1 partition, right?
What is a recommended size? I guess 50 G would be ok?

When creating the new data partition:
what Filesystem to use? I'll only use it on a Linux platform, so I guess ext4 is OK?
where to mount it? Can I create a /home partition?

Thanks!!

PS - It's a fresh install, so I don't have sensitive data yet I can't afford to lose if I screw up (I got an external HD but it's getting full....)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Resizing "/" partition and creating data partiton?

Post by oobetimer »

I would shrink partition sda1 from 290 GB to 20 GB and expand extented partition. For /home -partition ...hmmm ... big enough ( 10 to 270 GB )

How to move home to the separate partition
Last edited by oobetimer on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Resizing "/" partition and creating data partiton?

Post by linuxviolin »

For / 20 GB maximum should be sufficient. For /home or /data, if you prefer, use the rest of your disk. For Swap 1 or 2 GB should be enough, how much have you as RAM?

About the file system, I would use XFS or JFS...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Beginner Questions”