video problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
collieman

video problems

Post by collieman »

Hello everyone. I just got Mint installed (finally). My first problem was after burning the ISO and trying to run "live CD". My computer (Compaq SR1810NX) would boot with the CD. It ran for a while with 5 green dots in the middle of the screen. After a while the dots disappeared and the CD popped out but the screen stayed blank. Tried a few more times. Then I tried burning a new CD at 4x but no go. I even downloaded the file again from another server but still got the blank screen. The monitor I was using was an LCD so I tried my old 17" CRT and it worked! I loved what I was seeing so I got another HD (40 gig) and did an install. That went well. My problem now is that I can hardly see the screen. Everything is so BIG. I tried to change resolution in applications but only had a choice of three. The smallest is still too big. It's like 800x600 in windows.
I hunted around and in control center I found hardware drivers. Somehow Mint started downloading a driver for my PCIxe card (Nvidia FX4800). It installed it. I rebooted hoping for more reso choices but now I only have 2 resos.....big (640x480) and GIGANTIC (320x240)! I'm having trouble writing this as the reso is so big. The smallest of the two is still WAY to big. Before I do a reinstall can I do anything to correct this. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info a possible. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
collieman

Re: video problems

Post by collieman »

An update. I uninstalled the GeForce FX4800 (took the card out and uninstalled the Nvidia driver in synaptic) and set the BIOS to "onboard video" which I'm using now. At least it's usable at 1024x768 reso but I still would like to go one step higher. The onboard is an ATI Radeon Express 200 card. Maybe a driver download in synaptic might do? I'm making more progress. I just learned how to "stretch/shrink" the desktop icons and reduce the font size making things a little more to my liking. I think I'm REALLY going to like Mint. I started with Ubuntu a few years ago then went to pclos.

Return to “Beginner Questions”